PDA

View Full Version : Why would I upgrade to HM2?

mamba
11-26-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm pretty happy with HEM1.
After looking at HEM2 trial version, except from a different design and some minor improvements, I just don't understand why I would upgrade.

Anyone here who can say he is happy with upgrading? And which new features have been worth the monies for him?
Thanks.

piet51
11-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Anyone here who can say he is happy with upgrading? And which new features have been worth the monies for him?
Thanks.

I am NOT happy with upgrading !!

udbrky
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
More information as to why you are not happy will lead to improvement, it's hard to read your mind to see why you are not happy.

More functionality in the future is available with the new platform. There are new stats and more being added, increased congruity with HM apps, and the ability to integrate with social media are just some of the additions in HM2. We understand that not everyone will use every feature and function - not everyone used every feature and function in HM1.

Not Excessive
11-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Today, I hit '0' days left in my HM2 trial, so it's decision time.

Let me say that I applaud the massive amount of work the developers have done during the beta and live stages. Each upgrade was (typically) a substantial improvement to both bugs and new functionality and in just a few short months I have seen HM2 overcome many of the original hurdles. However, from my perspective there are some issues that until addressed, makes HM2 an unwise path.

The issue of HM1 licenses revoking after upgrading to HM2 may be a good business decision, but you will have difficulty convincing users of that. Nobody likes to be told they can't use something after they've paid for it; even if they never do use it again. Your competitor is not going down this path.

More and more users are employing network storage and put HM2 dbs onto this storage. A prime reason for this is as a safeguard in case a user suffers some sort of catastrophe to their PC (eg, an errant cup of coffee). For some reason, a rebuilt HM2 cannot connect to an existing db; this really needs to be addressed.

It is obvious that the cash side of HM2 receives more attention than the tourney side and I think there is a long way to go before tourney players will be smiling. Not having HM2 update a tourney status without either rebooting or waiting an hour, is quite simply not acceptable. I have watched as some pretty exotic stats have been made available, and yet I still need to reboot HM2 to see tourney results. I would also like to be able to filter HUD stats based on tourney 'size', but I can't see that happening soon.

I, for one, really don't care about social networking link functionality or most of the apps associated with HM2 although I am sure other users do find this appealing. I'm a PLO ring player and an SnG grinder and at the moment HM2 offers very little additional functionality over HM1.

I'll continue to watch developments through this forum and wish the team every success, but at the moment I see no justification in upgrading.

holdemstats
11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Same here.

fr3kvent
11-27-2011, 10:19 AM
performance, performance, performance, performance, performance.........is really weak for me! I dont care about awesome graphics or something like that. HM is tracking software and I use it for my work not for entertainment. HM2 loads like 30-50 sec for me, graphs are much worse. And that`s when I disable notecaddy, with notecaddy things get much more worse..It`s just too slow me and yeah , I tried to follow your "improve performance" guide, but no help..

udbrky
11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Please provide log files and more information re: performance.

Please email hm2support@holdemmanager.com

with: ram and cpu and database size
when you see the lag
a log file when you open and open the graph report
what ribbon you are on while playing when you see lag

During open, there are hands and reports being loaded into memory. Office and Photoshop take a long time to open and are not loading data into memory for future use.

wmascent
11-28-2011, 09:35 AM
HM2 loads like 30-50 sec for me

same problem, with out gadget on start page Hm2 starting fastest

and i have problem with note page, note page still on screen after close

KlaSun
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Upgrading to HEM2 is a bad idea.

The performance is awful and there are so many bugs it's ridicilous.

Maybe in 2 months time they will have fixed them and it will be useable, by then it's much better to stick with HEM1.

udbrky
11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
The widgets will cause a longer start, as it loads more in.

You can send log files and I will look to see if there's anything else going on.

What do you mean the note page stays on screen after close? Send a log file.

Where is performance awful? Specifics help narrow things down to investigate and fix.

What size is your DB? How many tables are you playing? What site? What types of games? What ribbon are you on?

mgl
12-01-2011, 03:12 AM
+1 regarding the uselessness of the tournament side of HM2. You should disable it and only offer cash at the moment. Literally nothing works regarding tournaments. Release a add on version when it actually works.
I am regretting my purchase but hopefully i can maybe start using HM2 in 6 months time.

Patvs
12-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Why you should upgrade?

Because the HM1 engine has reached its max. HM1 can't fully utilize the speed of your computer (if you have a fast one), due to the way the database structure is setup, and the way it utilizes your RAM.
And it's difficult to quickly write stats to HM1. And the way it detects -for example- SNGs from the handhistories, is an old fashioned system (from a time when double or nothing, fifty50, knockout, shootout, etc. did not exist), making it nearly impossible to easily add a new type of game (to the game filter). And any such update, would require a reimport of all the handhistories into a new database. And HM1 never truly converted and supported multiple-currencies.

HM2 is designed to solve all those limitations of HM1. (limitations that go unnoticed to most HM1 users). HM2 makes it easier (for the developer) to add stats. New game types, etc. and it wouldn't require you to reimport the handhistories, due to the new database structure already anticipating those updates.

HM2 can fully utilize your CPU, RAM, speed of a SSD harddisk, etc. for much better performance. Performance is currently still being tweaked. It will improve significantly in the next weeks/months.
HM2 offers the possibility to easily add any functionality you can think of.

Today, I hit '0' days left in my HM2 trial, so it's decision time.

I've never decision time. If your trial has expired but:
-you wanted a couple of more days to try HM2
-or you want to try HM2 again in 4 weeks time, to see if all the promised bugs have been fixed and performance has improved
-if you want to try HM2 again in 3 month.. or any time
email sales and they'll extend your trial or give you a new 15 day trial.

mgl
12-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Why you should upgrade?

Because the HM1 engine has reached its max. HM1 can't fully utilize the speed of your computer (if you have a fast one), due to the way the database structure is setup, and the way it utilizes your RAM.
And it's difficult to quickly write stats to HM1. And the way it detects -for example- SNGs from the handhistories, is an old fashioned system (from a time when double or nothing, fifty50, knockout, shootout, etc. did not exist), making it nearly impossible to easily add a new type of game (to the game filter). And any such update, would require a reimport of all the handhistories into a new database. And HM1 never truly converted and supported multiple-currencies.

HM2 is designed to solve all those limitations of HM1. (limitations that go unnoticed to most HM1 users). HM2 makes it easier (for the developer) to add stats. New game types, etc. and it wouldn't require you to reimport the handhistories, due to the new database structure already anticipating those updates.

HM2 can fully utilize your CPU, RAM, speed of a SSD harddisk, etc. for much better performance. Performance is currently still being tweaked. It will improve significantly in the next weeks/months.
HM2 offers the possibility to easily add any functionality you can think of.

I've never decision time. If your trial has expired but:
-you wanted a couple of more days to try HM2
-or you want to try HM2 again in 4 weeks time, to see if all the promised bugs have been fixed and performance has improved
-if you want to try HM2 again in 3 month.. or any time
email sales and they'll extend your trial or give you a new 15 day trial.

Yeah its going to be an awesome piece of software when it works =)

Barlin63
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty happy with HEM1.
After looking at HEM2 trial version, except from a different design and some minor improvements, I just don't understand why I would upgrade.

Thanks.

Don't upgrade. The software is not worth the money and it will take them at least 6 months (given what we have seen over the past month) to make it ok (not good and not too bad).

piet51
12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Don't upgrade. The software is not worth the money and it will take them at least 6 months (given what we have seen over the past month) to make it ok (not good and not too bad).

I agree , HM2 is not end-user ready at this moment

zippo
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Hasn't even reached Beta status - pre-alpha maybe

morny
12-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, were not putting our heads in the sand and denying there isnt still some bugs out there, we just released another version now with over 50 updates/fixes/features in the releases forum, were continuing to quickly solve any remaining bugs and im not trying to downplay issues people are having but it would be really helpful to start a new thread with a list of the issues affecting you. A lot of the issues i see mentioned are bugs that have been since fixed or issues specific to your configuration that can cause the problem and may not be a bug.

Once you list out the bugs we can get them tested, documented and fixed quickly. Feel free to email me on pmorny@holdemmanager.com and ill work with you personally on those bugs or you can use the support system here or via email.

The issue mentioned about the tournaments not updating is also fixed in the new release, that was a nasty bug to track down for our devs and was obviously creating a headache because people thought it just wasnt updating. Anyway i can understand everyones frustration and hopefully over the coming days and weeks we can show you how committed we are to solving everyone's issues quickly.

This was a complete re-write from HM1 and the reason we choose that route was there was so many things people wanted that HM1 didnt have the capacity to do but once we get these remaining issues sorted the sky is the limit with what HM2 can do and i think people will really appreciate that. I also realize that some people dont want all the fancy bells and whistles and right now our focus is completely on making things completely solid with all the functionality that HM1 had and a lot more and then build from there.

jan4q
12-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I used HM1 since over a year and i'm happy with the software. unfortunately i upgrade to HM2 - this software is absolutelynot end-user ready...

my_sharona
12-03-2011, 02:03 PM
2 days left in my HM2-trial and uninstalled it today. I don't think that I will like this programm someday.

ren99
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Its a shame any business will knowingly release this software at its current state.

Outlaw
12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I guess I'm alone in saying that I love HM2. Sure, there are a few bugs here and there but overall the performance is infinitely better. I love the new layout, it is definitely more user friendly for the professional poker player.

The changes I like are too numerous to list here, but the vs. hero stats are probably my favorite feature so far.. as a LAG, it is a huge advantage for me to know how people are adjusting to my style of play.

I am confident these guys will work the kinks out in a few weeks but in the meantime I think this is already a superior product than HM2 and PT3.

Aphanasis
12-05-2011, 06:59 AM
I guess I'm alone in saying that I love HM2. Sure, there are a few bugs here and there but overall the performance is infinitely better. I love the new layout, it is definitely more user friendly for the professional poker player.

The changes I like are too numerous to list here, but the vs. hero stats are probably my favorite feature so far.. as a LAG, it is a huge advantage for me to know how people are adjusting to my style of play.

I am confident these guys will work the kinks out in a few weeks but in the meantime I think this is already a superior product than HM1 and PT3.

You're not alone.

+1

Galldor
12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Just tried the new build as a fix for the filter bug, caused massive CPU spikes and crashes, they have taken the release down now, I have spent so much time trying to fix things in holdem manager 2 it's a joke. I feel sorry for those who have paid for it an can't roll back to hm1 (which is unbelievable).
I think it's a very poor release, I can only remember 2 other software titles being released this buggy. I'm not sure how these bugs didn't get ironed out in the beta release.
I also have to say that I really like the product if it worked an didn't cause so much stress and lost $$$$ on the tables so there is hope! I'm a bit disappointed however and the timing of new builds considering how long some of these bugs have been active.

piet51
12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
+ 1

GooiMielies
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
For how long will HM1 upgrades be supported?

Don't what to log into PokerStars only to find HM doesn't work and I have to pay for new software.

dustyn
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
What I visually see from HM2 is it's an excellent product, gorgeous interface, lots of options, tons of potential. It leaves a tantalizing first impression.

My issue is simple: I play around 15-16 tables across 5-6 sites, and HM2 grinded to a halt after 5 tables on 2 sites. Poker is my business and what I see is just a simple performance issue. But at the same time it will cost me thousands of dollars to "stress test" HM2 and I don't really have the ability to "experiment" with a couple thousand bucks on the line. You guys are in the business of making software and I am in the business of playing poker. I am perfectly happy to help addressing specific bugs in the software, but I am not interested in beta testing a product, plain and simple.

For me I will happily upgrade when the performance issues are taken care of. My feeling is the devs should focus on creating a working, functional product, and not forget about the core reasons we use software like this. And not forget that a robust feature set doesn't really do anyone any good if the core product is not functional. Perhaps this means shelving or turning off by default some features of the product...

I look at it this way: when I purchase a new business product, I expect it to be more or less functional out of the box, after updating to the latest version. It is not really the job of the customer to load up a product, figure out the performance isn't great, and comb the Internet for hours to figure out what to turn off or change in order for the product to work optimally.

What concerns me at this point is I can't upgrade to HM2 and I can't even upgrade to the latest version of HM1 since HM2 is of course slowing down the updates for the first product. As a customer, I have used this product for years and used to use your competitors product, and switched because they got lazy...they were complacent, slow to update/add features...and you guys weren't.

morny
12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys, its not easy to read people are unhappy as we have the same goals as yourselves and like i previously said we will be working our socks off to take care of the issues as quickly as possible, the latest issue with the CPU was a bug that was introduced, it will be fixed soon and can be fixed by turning off notecaddy (show notecaddy notes) in hud options in the meantime. The current internal we have seems to have fixed it for 90-95% of people so were just trying to narrow down the issue for the other 5-10%. If your still having issues with it off then this is more than likely another issue and i would appreciate if you email me on pmorny@holdemmanager.com and we can look at the problem in detail

morny
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi,

Were looking for feedback from anyone with performance issues, can you please download this version and let us know if your still getting CPU spikes with this, please test with notecaddy off (untick show notecaddy notes in Hud Options) and with it on. If you are still having issues please give us as much details about when your getting the issue. Were continuing to work on this internally as there are still some issues but this solved the problem for 95% of the tech team and we need more feedback from the public.

http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm2_2.0.0.5841.exe

Update: we found the issues for the remaining CPU issues and will have a new release in a couple of hours

my_sharona
12-06-2011, 04:04 AM
My trial is over, so I can't test anymore.

Galldor
12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks Morny,
It's your own fault for coming out with such good products in the past!! :)
Also people can see the potential in HM2 so its even more frustrating when things don't work. The new release looks good and hopefully you can solve the performance issues.
My HEM2 is running much more smoothly now I have sorted out my .net updates, I urge everyone to check their update history and make sure all the updates have been installed correctly.

morny
12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
My trial is over, so I can't test anymore.

Please email pmorny@holdemmanager.com with your holdemmanager.com login and i will extend your trial.

Thanks Morny,
It's your own fault for coming out with such good products in the past!! :)
Also people can see the potential in HM2 so its even more frustrating when things don't work. The new release looks good and hopefully you can solve the performance issues.
My HEM2 is running much more smoothly now I have sorted out my .net updates, I urge everyone to check their update history and make sure all the updates have been installed correctly.

Thanks and well have an internal version ready shortly which should address those issues as the internal testing went very well so far

my_sharona
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Please email pmorny@holdemmanager.com with your holdemmanager.com login and i will extend your trial.

Thanks, I will do that in a month or two.