PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL logfiles taking up too much space

Bz10
08-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL logfiles are taking up a lot of space on my hard drive. A couple of days ago it was taking up around 40 GB and now its already more than 50 GB. I assume something is wrong here. What should I do? Can I just delete the logfiles in PostgreSQL > 8.2 > data > pg_log?

netsrak
08-09-2009, 11:28 AM
You can delete all files in the pg_log folder.

Fozzy has posted instructions for changing the Postgresql installation to write no log files. I can't find it in the moment. Please try to search on your own.

Bz10
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Ok I have got it thanks

fozzy71
08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I did a support session the other day with a customer. He had 6 or 7 separate DBs. Most of them were older PT3 DBs. His 16gb DB had 14gb of log files. :eek:

In case anyone needs the instructions:

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips
(http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=62613&posted=1#post62613)

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.