PDA

View Full Version : can i run hud on a pc without HM on it?

roeky
08-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Im new and and just want to say im very happy with what i see. I have 2 pc's one is fast the other is slow on a 2 pc network. Is there any way i can have hud on my slow pc connect to my data base/HM on my fast pc? I dont want to put hm on my old pc and create a new and separate DB but i can put sql on it.

morny
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Why dont you just put postgreSQL and HM on the fast PC for extra performance, theres no point in having the data on a fast PC when the slow PC has trouble displaying it?

roeky
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Why dont you just put postgreSQL and HM on the fast PC for extra performance, theres no point in having the data on a fast PC when the slow PC has trouble displaying it?

The fast pc is the main computer with hm and my data base which i do most my play from. The slow pc is a laptop and it gives me the freedom i need sometimes but i dont want to create another db also there's limited space on the machine. It be great if i could just connect to the main pc which would have hm running and importing doing all the work while my laptops just connects and displays the hud. thanks

morny
08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
There is a way to do this but it involves buying an external hard drive which are pretty cheap these days and also very compact.

http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=154

However you might be able to tinker around and getting it working just using the main PC as the database but then youll always need to have the laptop networked to the main PC which will only give you limited freedom to play upstairs or out in the garden but not from a hotel room or a friends house for example

roeky
08-28-2008, 12:55 AM
thanks morny does the external drive need 2 usb connections?

morny
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Well USB is the easiest way to connect it but if you can find a suitable way to connect it easily to both PC and Laptop that will work fine.

Alot of the newer USB Drives come with 2 USB connections but the 2nd is usually only a backup in case it dosent have enough power via 1 cable but usually 1 works fine.

roeky
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks morny let me see if i got this right, i hook the external drive to my main pc with usb then connect my slower pc to the main pc same way its been done. The slower pc can now connect to the external drive though the main pc? All the external drives i looked at only had 1 small usb port.

morny
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah thats it. 1 usb cable is fine as i said the 2nd cable is just a backup measure.

roeky
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
ok i got everything hooked up but now when i goto the last step "Right click this and choose Start to restart the service." PostgresSQL opens then shuts down giving me this error message.

"The PostgreSQL Database server 8.2 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for exampe, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

sql is now down on both pc's. PC 1 it has been on and working and pc 2 was a fresh install. Can i just uninstall reinstall postgres, i really need this up and running today.

morny
09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Please try this http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=153

roeky
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
ok it got postSQL up and working on my main pc, i had to copy and the data file back to its original location. Id still like to get it working with 2 pc.

morny
09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Im not sure exactly what youve done so far, can you explain the steps youve taken and whats not working now