PDA

View Full Version : Holdem Manager schema diagram

Salamando
08-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Do you have a schema diagram available for the database so people can play around in postgres?

netsrak
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Although you are not looking for a report, there is a lot of information in the Custom Reports section in the stickies which explains about all the tables, please check that out.

Salamando
08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks, I had a look there, turned on logging which helps a ton in finding some queries. I'm looking at developing a separate program over the DB.

Would it be possible to get a full ER/schema diagram for the database? Would just save me a heap of time looking through the database and finding all the relationships.

Most of the keys are well named, but it's a pretty complex DB to start from scratch with.

strk
03-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Not sure if OP got a pm, or any other answer, but if so, I'd be very interested in a copy of the schema as well.

If not, sorry to bump this!

morny
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi, we dont have an official schema written but a lot of the information in the stickies and posts in the custom reports section of the forum should help you get started

MicroRoller
03-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Do you have a schema diagram available for the database so people can play around in postgres?

You can reverse engineer it using Mogwai ER-Designer NG (http://mogwai.sourceforge.net/?Welcome:ERDesigner_NG) or a similar tool.

When I was poking around the database a couple of weeks ago I didn't notice any foreign key relationships defined so relationships will be missing from the ER diagram.

Should be pretty easy to map out foreign keys since they seemed to be consistent in naming key columns. Cardinality shouldn't be too difficult to infer either.

Salamando
03-19-2010, 02:37 AM
You can reverse engineer it using Mogwai ER-Designer NG (http://mogwai.sourceforge.net/?Welcome:ERDesigner_NG) or a similar tool.

When I was poking around the database a couple of weeks ago I didn't notice any foreign key relationships defined so relationships will be missing from the ER diagram.

Should be pretty easy to map out foreign keys since they seemed to be consistent in naming key columns. Cardinality shouldn't be too difficult to infer either.

Yeah I actually found a free tool as well to reverse engineer schema diagrams from postgres, worked a treat. I'm getting terrible performance now on my 4 year old database with something like 5 million hands in it, want to look at some of the indexing too.

MicroRoller
03-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Yeah I actually found a free tool as well to reverse engineer schema diagrams from postgres, worked a treat. I'm getting terrible performance now on my 4 year old database with something like 5 million hands in it, want to look at some of the indexing too.

Which program are you using? I haven't found much in terms of good free/os db modelling tools. Especially ones that can reverse engineer, compare and forward engineer.

CaseStudio 2 used to have a lite version that was pretty cheap. I always liked it but now Toad bought it, renamed it Toad Data Modeler and don't seem to offer a lite/cheaper version.

MicroRoller
03-19-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm getting terrible performance now on my 4 year old database with something like 5 million hands in it, want to look at some of the indexing too.

Forgot to add... I was surprised by the lack of indexes other than on key columns. If someone took the time to go over some of the more commonly used queries and ones that run the slowest, they could come up indexes to add that will increase performance.

Have you considered getting a faster drive to hold your data? I noticed neegg was having a sale on SSD (http://blog.microrollers.com/2010/03/increase-holdem-manager-performance.html). I'm only at around 500k hands so performance is decent for me.

Salamando
03-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Which program are you using? I haven't found much in terms of good free/os db modelling tools. Especially ones that can reverse engineer, compare and forward engineer.

CaseStudio 2 used to have a lite version that was pretty cheap. I always liked it but now Toad bought it, renamed it Toad Data Modeler and don't seem to offer a lite/cheaper version.

I used SQL Power Architect (http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect). Now looking back at the site, I think I used a trial (not as free as I remember!), but I only needed a once-off diagram, and it worked fine.