PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing PostgreSQL

dirtydude
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey guys,

installing HM on two PC's, one just went fine and program is up&running, the other PC gave an error during finalization of the installment of PostgreSQL, saying the service could not be started. I've retried several times (deleting PostgreSQL folder, service and users on the PC) but it just won't start :confused:

Does anyone know why, or how this can be fixed?
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition v2002 Service Pack 2

Hoping anyone can help, and with kind regards,

Frank

fabio
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Is any antivirus software on the computer installed?

dirtydude
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
No, only Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, but its more a port protection program than AV-program. I set it to allow-all prior to installation...

morny
08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Please try this: http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=153

dirtydude
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I've read the thread, but it's not even the question whether I can start the service, because at the end of installation it tries to start the service, and when it finally tells me the service can't be started (after like 5mins waiting), the only option is retry (which does not work) and cancel. And when you cancel, it undoes the installation, so there is nothing left to work with :(

; I can change the user which the service is run under (while the setup is still running and trying to start the service), but you have to reboot before the change is applied. However when I reboot the setup has to be finished, and for that to happen I need to [cancel] and that will uninstall the service and undo installation ... dilemma

; Another thing: when I try to start the service via Administrative Tools(Services), when setup gives me the option to retry or cancel setup, it gives the following error when trying to start the service: "The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3-service on Local Computer has been started and stopped. Some services stop automatically when they have nothing to do, like Performance Logs and Alerts-service. (translated from dutch)

I closed down all programs running, including Kaspersky Anti-Hacker.

so I need still need some help ;)

update:
so now I've turned the power to my PC off at finalization of the setup when it's trying to start the service (but it can't and only option is to cancel). The service remains installed and now it's ready for editing and stuff that may or may not be done to it. I've followed the steps in your thread but it's still giving the same error as mentioned above.

what to do, what to dooo?

morny
08-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Ive seen this with someone before and i couldnt find a solution as youve mentioned theres not much you can do if it dosent even let you finish the installation. The best thing to do is to to post on the PostgreSQL forums and see if they can help you get PostgreSQL installed properly

dirtydude
08-26-2008, 07:32 AM
As I mentioned above, at the end of installation I shut down the power to my PC. So the service is installed and can be modified or whatever is needed. Only the solution from the thread you specified in your previous comment is not effective. You don't have any other clues?
Thanks for the quick replies btw :)

Kind regards,

Frank

morny
08-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Anyone who has had this problem has had it solved by 1 of the suggestions i already made but i dont know of any other solutions. The guys at PostgreSQL will probably able to work with you to find whats causing the problem but ive ran out of suggestions. Would really appreciate it though if they do find a solution that you come back and let us know as its an annoying problem that only a handful of people cant seem to get sorted with the above suggestions and theres no other suggestions/fixes ive found when googling for these problems.

dirtydude
02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
So after running around 1000 fora and the postgresql hackers mailing list (which is the best place to go if you have problems with it, the manufacturers hang around there):
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
It came to the following conclusion:

1) Uninstalled the following programs+program files folder:

File Shredder
Holdem Manager (this is the program I need postgresql for)
mIRC
Proxifier
GetDataBack for FAT and NTFS
Registry Mechanic
TuneUp Utilities
SimpLite
Daemon Tools
Kaspersky (was not installed during the time of the errors so can't be to blame)
PostgresQL

2) Rebooted
3) Ran a new msinfo32 and attached the file to newinfo.zip
4) net user postgres /delete
5) regedit and deleted all keys in software relating to the appz above
5) install msiexec/i postgresql-8.3.msi /Le c:\msiexeclog.txt
postgresql installation did NOT fail as before (stopping at starting service and not being able to complete installation)
6) Check service running via Administrative Tools=>Services and it says it is
7) Attached postgresql-8.3.log and msiexeclog.txt to newinfo.zip
8) Installed Holdem Manager
9) Saw that it's working; imported files to database
10) Rebooted
11) Everything still working (user running under ./postgres btw)

So one of the programs above caused the problem. Which I am not sure yet.

Please reference the users which have problems with postgresql to that site in the future, it will help them alot :)

Kind regards, Frank.

dirtydude
02-27-2009, 05:12 AM
I did re-install Tune-Up Utilities, Kaspersky, Holdem Manager and Daemon Tools, so those were probably not the problemcause since it's still working.