PDA

View Full Version : Suggested requirements for a new computer

snowwhite
11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi.

I'm buying a new computer and would like to get some help on doing so.

I'm a mass multitabler and understandably want things to run as smooth as possible. I currently play 20+ tables, but I'd like to see myself being able to 30+ soon. For this there is no room for lag issues.

I play at PokerStars. I use HEM, Tournament Shark, TableNinja and PokerTracker all at the same time. I would also like to be using NoteCaddy and leave options open to run even more programs simultaneously. And without lag! I also stream music while playing and keep Skype open.

Now what sort of things I should be looking for specwise? Is quad core a must or could I do fine with dualcore i5-type processors also? How important are the GHz? How much memory is enough? How much is so much that it doesn't help my cause anymore?

I suppose SSD does a lot when going towards a lag free environment, but could I also do fine with a regular HD? How about graphics card? Is there any difference to me if I get a card with 1GB of memory instead of 2GB's. Is there anything else I should be looking for in graphics cards or in anything else for that matter?

Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you..

Patvs
11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

CPU: since you're running so many programs simultaneously (including streaming music, etc.) you'll benefit from the i7 design.
Ghz (slowest i7 vs fastest really expensive i7) will not have a significant difference on performance.

RAM: at least 8 GB. 12 or 16 recommended
16+ is overkill.

Harddisk: you can store all your music/movies/media/downloads on a regular harddisk.
But it's essential you install Windows, PokerTracker/HoldemManager and its PostgreSQL databases on a SSD.
Otherwise the harddisk will always be the bottleneck of the system.

Graphics card: it doesn't really matter. All NEW cards (2009/2010/2011 models) will be sufficient.
You don't need crazy dual videocard setups. (even if you're planning on a triple monitor setup, just using one card will do)
You only need expensive videocards if you plan on playing the latest videogames.

snowwhite
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Since I play on a laptop, my options are fairly limited. Basically I have two options:
1. I buy a real gaming laptop, which has all the necessary requirements including SSD, i7, 16GB of memory and 4kg of weight.
2. I buy a new Vaio with 2 SSDs, i7, but only 8GB of memory. Otherwise it's sleek and pretty and weighs under 2kg's.

You said at least 8GB of RAM, but recommended more. So would I be in trouble with the Vaio? Does it make any difference if I have two SSDs instead of only one?

Patvs
12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
8 GB already is perfect.
Even 6 GB will do.

2 SSDs: if they can be put in a RAID-0 array it will be faster than having 1 SSD.
But if the laptop has two HDD slots, it may be better to use one for a regular 500+ GB HD for storage.

Also it will be a lot cheaper to buy a regular (non-gaming) laptop (i5/i7 6-8 GB RAM)--> and then only replace the HDD for a SSD.
(or if the laptop has two HDD slots, add a SSD)

Another "crazy/creative" solution would be to buy a Macbook Pro / Air (with a SSD), but run Windows (instead of the MAC OCX) on it instead, because the Mac has much better battery life. (and is sleek and pretty)

snowwhite
12-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks again. I've actually been thinking about Mac Air as an option. But the current model only ships with Dual-Core i7. And with this many programs running simultaneously that might present some problems, right?

Patvs
12-12-2011, 08:54 AM
A fast i5 will have similar performance as a fast i7.

The problem is the:
13 inch: MacBook Air has a 1.7 Ghz i5 CPU.
4 GB RAM, with a 128/256 GB SSD.
1440 x 900 resolution

That's a really strange i5 processor.
Most PC laptops (and the MacBook Pro) have a much faster 2.4+ Ghz CPU.
But I haven't seen benchmark tests how much slower performance actually is on the MacBook Air.