PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to Postgresql, tried everything

urmy
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
As topic says, had this software for about 2 months on my new laptop and has been working flawlesly untill the last week or so. Cant connect to postgresql, have uninstalled and reinstalled it like 3 times now, switched everything off, basically done every little thing i could possibly do.
Dont really know why it just stopped working, but getting really frustrated and need some help!

I run vista.

netsrak
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Please schedule a remote support session with our support manager. Email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so he can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session.

urmy
08-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I will try this as soon as I get home as the internet I am currently using is very unstable and will not work with TV (this will however be in 18 days :()

I've done the list of things in the FAQ and nothing has helped, any last resort I can do on my own before finally throwing in the towel?

netsrak
08-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Disable UAC http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73
Disable or Uninstall firewall software (especially F-secure)

Give us specific error messages / problem descriptions.

urmy
08-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Disable UAC http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73
Disable or Uninstall firewall software (especially F-secure)

Give us specific error messages / problem descriptions.

Alright, so I disabled UAC, W Defender and W firewall. Also removed my expired anti virus program. I have reinstalled both the postgre 8.3 and 8.4 quite a few times now and still experience the same problem:

When starting HEM, I get the error message "Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1" I click OK, and try to connect through DBC panel. Then the message "A connection cannot be made, would you like HEM to start the service?" I click Yes and get a "HEM could not start the program", followed by "HEM has now started the service please try again". I click OK, and back to DBC panel, and now I'm back on step 1, this procedure repeating itself.

I've tried to go thorugh the Control panel -> Administration tools -> Services and try to start the application from there, it just says "starting" for a long time untill I give up and quit.

Edit: While typing, I just discovered that I now could start the service with 8.4 through Administration Tools -> Services. Now I get to the next window where I try to create a DB, whereas I get the following message:

"The following error occured when trying to initialize The Holdem Manager database. ERROR: 22023: new coding (SQL_ASCII) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (WIN1252).

Should work with patching HEM or do I need to do something elese?

edit: Patching to Beta 1.09 21 did not help, but just checked out the 8.4 thread and found the answers I think. Will have a look at it later, going away for a bit. If I get anymore trouble I'll holla, lol I feel so stupid making all these post now :)

E

netsrak
08-02-2009, 07:20 AM
A general hint: the postgresql installation has nothing to do with Holdemmanager.
You must at first get postgresql running and then you can install and start Holdemmanager.

OK, you now have 8.4 running. This is a first success but 8.4. is a little bit tricky. I posted instructions in this thread page 2: http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12925

urmy
08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Dang, I now uninstalled the 8.4 to change the encoding, and now cant get it to start when installed. Will try and install 8.3 again, see if it will start this time.

Edit: While installing it wont let me initilize a new DB, so I do not do this: Maybe this is where the problem is, and if so how do i remove my old db?

edit 2: also, now when i try to start it again it says the service has been started and stopped. ??

netsrak
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Is the service running or not and which service?

You can delete old data via the windows explorer before you start a new installation

urmy
08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I tried started it manually and it would just say "starting" and not really start. Anyhow, now I've missclicked my way through all setups now and somehow it is now working!!! :D:D:D Dont know how i did it but now I have no problem starting it, not having to go through the DB managment window or anything. Now I just hope it stays this way.

Also didnt loose any hands, nice :)