PDA

View Full Version : Running HEM in Vmware Fusion

asfo
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm running Holdem Manager (along with all my poker software) in XP via Vmware Fusion on my Macbook Pro. I tend to have some performance issues that I can't really seem to shake so I'm always trying to do whatever I can to keep the windows box running well. I was curious if it would be potentially worthwhile to try and run the PostgreSQL on the Mac side of things and just connect to it with Holdem Manager?

Edit: I forgot to mention the biggest thing holding me back seems to be processing speed. Upping VMWare to use 2 virtual processors seems to slow both the Mac and the VM down, I'm guessing because it overtaxes the processors. I have tons of RAM (4GB, 1 allotted to the PC) and I don't come close to maxing it, so I'm either being held back by hard drive speed or cpu

netsrak
07-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Generally it is no problem to run Holdemmanager in a VM. I for myself run an ubuntu system with virtual box as vm.
Postgresql runs under Ubuntu. You could do the same with your Postgresql running on the Mac and connection to HM via network.
This will give you some more performance.

asfo
07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Is the increase in performance going to be from the processor load? hard drive load? memory load? which one?

Kaizen2000
07-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Is the increase in performance going to be from the processor load? hard drive load? memory load? which one?
Hi asfo... worked out 5 OS/X installations for Holdem Manager/PT3 and running HM and postgresql on VMware (tried this 2 times, 3 times on parallels) is a mess. Try to install postgresql as native OS/X and HM as a VM.