PDA

View Full Version : HUD Stats Questions for Beginners

cyberrico
07-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I purchased the full version of HM, it's working great and I am extremely happy with it.

I am a novice poker player playing micro stakes for now and very passionate about learning the game. Because of my limited knowledge there are certain things about the stats that HM tracks that I don't quite understand.

I understand what most of the stats and abbreviations mean from a definition standpoint but weighing their importance is a bit more difficult.

If any of you would be so kind as to answer the questions below, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you could give me some guidelines as to what values I should alert myself to in each stat. I realize that this is relative to table, stakes, etc, but generalizations can still be made. For example, it is more than safe to state that a player with a VP of 50 is an extremely aggressive player. The questions pertain to mostly micro staked ring games.

Questions numbered for easier responses.

1) PFR - This stat has me confused. I can raise every single time I open including against limpers hence raising them, but the numbers don't make sense to me. I typically have a PFR in the upper teens. This can't be a percentage of raises in hands that I play otherwise it would consistently be 100% except when I get a free look at the flop from the BB and I choose not to raise. I am guessing that it is a percentage of preflop raises total but that would be odd.

2) ST - I thought that this would be a more important stat but again it doesn't seem to give me vital information. I am usually in the 20's here. Almost everyone is in the 20's. I would be cautious against someone with a 40 as I almost never see anyone much above 20 but I just can't imagine that in the long run that this number could get very high.

3) 3B - How is this number calculated? Is it a percentage of raises that the player reraises?

4) AF - Again, this number doesn't seem to give me a strong indication of their play. Everyone seems to be a 15-30. Typically 22-25. The FAQ says "(Bet + Raise) / Call". I'm no mathematician, but that number would seem to be a fraction rather than a whole number. Most people call a heck of a lot more than they raise (I guess).

5) Donk Bet Flop - This stat fascinates me as it made me feel like I have on occasion been a donk lol. So just to clarify, I am UTG and lead out with a 3X BB bet preflop, you are on the button, reraise me and I call. Is there really no situation where I should do this? Even if I hit top pair and don't want you to see another card on a semi-scary board?

6) There are plenty of other stats that I don't understand but I will cross those bridges as my poker knowledge improves. However, what other stats should I be looking at to get a feel for how weak a player is or how aggressive they are? FCB and FvFCB seems to be a good indicator but that won't really be solid data until I have thousands of hands on them. Stats that I can easily put on my HUD rather than having to really break them down would be best.

I would think that a stat that tells me how much they limp, defend the blinds, bet out of position or how much of a calling station they are could come in handy.

7) One last thing, the table HUD has some info on it, all of which I understand except the two numbers at the top. XX/YY. What do those numbers mean?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out. :)

fozzy71
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I purchased the full version of HM, it's working great and I am extremely happy with it.

I am a novice poker player playing micro stakes for now and very passionate about learning the game. Because of my limited knowledge there are certain things about the stats that HM tracks that I don't quite understand.

I understand what most of the stats and abbreviations mean from a definition standpoint but weighing their importance is a bit more difficult.

If any of you would be so kind as to answer the questions below, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you could give me some guidelines as to what values I should alert myself to in each stat. I realize that this is relative to table, stakes, etc, but generalizations can still be made. For example, it is more than safe to state that a player with a VP of 50 is an extremely aggressive player. The questions pertain to mostly micro staked ring games.

VPIP has little to do with aggression. That deals with how tight/loose you are.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=155
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=89
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=156
and take a look in the stats definitions at the end of the manual: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HoldemManagerManual.pdf

I suggest going thru the HM > Articles Menu as well

Questions numbered for easier responses.

1) PFR - This stat has me confused. I can raise every single time I open including against limpers hence raising them, but the numbers don't make sense to me. I typically have a PFR in the upper teens. This can't be a percentage of raises in hands that I play otherwise it would consistently be 100% except when I get a free look at the flop from the BB and I choose not to raise. I am guessing that it is a percentage of preflop raises total but that would be odd.

It is the calculated the same as VPIP, a percentage of every hand dealt to you.

Preflop Raise - When someone raises Preflop, if someone 3bets this is also counted towards your PFR as well

2) ST - I thought that this would be a more important stat but again it doesn't seem to give me vital information. I am usually in the 20's here. Almost everyone is in the 20's. I would be cautious against someone with a 40 as I almost never see anyone much above 20 but I just can't imagine that in the long run that this number could get very high.

Is there a question here?

3) 3B - How is this number calculated? Is it a percentage of raises that the player reraises?

Three Bet - This refers to preflop only where someone re-raises a raise. To explain the difference between prelop and postflop for the term 3bet. The BB is counted as a forced bet preflop, the open raise is then counted as a raise or 2nd bet and the 3bet is when someone re-raises. Post Flop the 1st bet is just a bet, the 2nd bet is a raise and a re-raise is sometimes referred to as a 3bet, just to be aware of the difference between the two.

4) AF - Again, this number doesn't seem to give me a strong indication of their play. Everyone seems to be a 15-30. Typically 22-25. The FAQ says "(Bet + Raise) / Call". I'm no mathematician, but that number would seem to be a fraction rather than a whole number. Most people call a heck of a lot more than they raise (I guess).

It sounds like you are confusing Aggression Factor and Aggression Frequency (percentage).

Agg Factor - Aggression factor is calculated (Bet + Raise) / Call, checking or folding has no effect

Agg Pct - Aggression percentage can be anything from 0-100 and is based on an aggressive action on each street. So if I bet the turn and the river but check the flop I would have 66% Agg Pct because I made 2 out of 3 aggressive actions.

5) Donk Bet Flop - This stat fascinates me as it made me feel like I have on occasion been a donk lol. So just to clarify, I am UTG and lead out with a 3X BB bet preflop, you are on the button, reraise me and I call. Is there really no situation where I should do this? Even if I hit top pair and don't want you to see another card on a semi-scary board?

That's a strategy question that I am not really qualified, or paid, to answer. ;) It is really hand, stack size, and villain dependent.

6) There are plenty of other stats that I don't understand but I will cross those bridges as my poker knowledge improves. However, what other stats should I be looking at to get a feel for how weak a player is or how aggressive they are? FCB and FvFCB seems to be a good indicator but that won't really be solid data until I have thousands of hands on them. Stats that I can easily put on my HUD rather than having to really break them down would be best.

I would think that a stat that tells me how much they limp, defend the blinds, bet out of position or how much of a calling station they are could come in handy.

Read the HM articles and the strategy forums, anthologies, stickies, at places like twoplustwo forums.

7) One last thing, the table HUD has some info on it, all of which I understand except the two numbers at the top. XX/YY. What do those numbers mean?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out. :)

Table Averages display for VPIP/PFR, then last 3 pot winners and amounts. You can click on the pot winnd\er for the HH or the pot amount to see the board and hole cards (if known). Italicized hands mean there are known hole cards.