PDA

View Full Version : Problems with update download and imports on VMWare Fusion on the mac

wolfram
07-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi.

I'm currently trying to get HEM to work on my mac by using a WindowsXP virtual machine via VMWare Fusion.

I've set up Postgresql and the HEM software and managed to import an old DB dump that I had stored on my PC. There are however two problems:

1. When I start up HEM, a download window briefly appears which says "File download - currentversion.html from www.rvgsoftware.com..." and then there's an error saying "Microsoft IE - IE cannot download currentversion.html from rvg....".

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that IE wasn't installed on the virtual machine. Is there any way to tell HEM to use Firefox instead?

This is mainly an annoyance cause I can simply press 'ok' and HEM will start up.

2. When I import files, it seems to work but the hand don't show up.

Example:

I had a new hand history file from ftp for 30/60 limit holdem. I imported this file and it showed the usual progres information and at the end told me it had imported 40 hands. There was however no increase in the number of 30/60 hands on my cash game tab, even after I refreshed and even restared the computer and software.

I also noticed another peculiar thing. There was a player in those hands, let's call him playerX. I checked my database before importing and he was not found in there. After importing the file, I can look up his name and in the lookup window it says he has 40 hands, but once I select him in the Cash Game tab then no hands are displayed. The window is simply empty.

I have one hunch. The hand history text file in question was created on the mac os x side of my computer and copied into the VM. When I open it in notepad there are no line breaks, but instead small boxes where the endlines should be. I tried converting the file using several mactodos utilities but all that did was increase the number of the small boxes between the lines.

thanks for any help,

Wolfram

wolfram
07-26-2009, 01:27 AM
just now I tried creating a fresh empty database and importing the same file and it worked. Now I can see the hands played by both me and my opponent.

Is there maybe something incompatable with my old database dump and the new imported hands?

netsrak
07-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Possibly different postgresql versions?

You should setup Internet explorer in the VM because HM uses the internet explorer settings. You don't need to use it later.

wolfram
07-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I tried creating a fresh database and restore the dump again. I have version 8.3 of PostgreSQL installed on my VM. This time around I decided to pay better attention to the messages generated with the restore procedure.

; Archive created at Mon Apr 27 19:08:07 2009
; dbname: HoldemManager
; TOC Entries: 226
; Compression: -1
; Dump Version: 1.10-0
; Format: CUSTOM
; Integer: 4 bytes
; Offset: 8 bytes
; Dumped from database version: 8.2.6
; Dumped by pg_dump version: 8.2.6

So obviously this is a dump from an 8.2.6 database. I also notice at the end that there were a lot of errors, e.g.:

CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;
pg_restore: creating TYPE responetype3_month_response
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 337; 1247 205922 TYPE responetype3_month_response postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: relation "responetype3_month_response" already exists
Command was: CREATE TYPE responetype3_month_response AS (
player_id integer,
compiledplayerresults_id integer,
totalplayedhands intege...

and in the end:

WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 130

Process returned exit code 1.

So I guess that's the issue. The weird thing is though, if I look in the old data directory on my crashed PC (the HDD still works) it says that the version of Postgresql is 8.3 also. I guess I restored the dump on 8.2.6 and then upgraded to 8.3 later on.

So what can I do? Is the only solution to install 8.2.6, restore the dump and then upgrade to 8.3? That seems really cumbersome.

netsrak
07-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Don't you have the original handhistories?

Another solution: setup a 2nd VM with Postgresql 8.2 and HM, export all the hands and import them in your current vm with Postgresql 8.3