PDA

View Full Version : NC causing HM2 performance issues?

Veteran68
11-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I've been seeing a number of reports of horrible HM2 performance and high CPU utilization lately. Too many to discount, but personally I had not experienced it -- HM2 has been running pretty well for me though late alpha and the beta.

Then tonight after I activated my release HM2 key, I looked through my HUD settings and realized I had disabled NC in a much earlier alpha or beta build. So I re-enabled both NC options and restarted HM2. Later, while playing only 2 tables on Lock (Merge), I noticed the CPU gauge in my sidebar and saw one core was nearly pegged and total CPU utilization was something like 24% (I have a quad core i7, so that's about right for 1 core at nearly 100%). Checked Task Manager and the culprit was HM2. So I unchecked the NC options which requires an HM2 restart. I exited HM2 but didn't restart it right away. After a few minutes I noticed my CPU utilization had not decreased. There were no HM2 icons open nor anything in the task tray, but I realized the HUD was still on my tables. I had to kill HM2 from Task Manager.

Then I restarted HM2 (without NC enabled) and things ran fine again like they have been -- hardly a blip on the CPU gauge while playing the same 2 tables. I recall that I had disabled NC some time ago during the alpha/beta because of some stability or performance problem, and forgot to turn it back on. I had never gotten used to using it, so didn't really miss it. I would have re-enabled it again to try and reproduce the issue, but my session was winding down. Maybe I'll try again on my next session.

I'm wondering if this could be the culprit with new users who enable NC (or if it's enabled by default). It could explain why some of us (me) haven't been seeing these performance issues.

Win7 64-bit
Core i7 @ 3.4Ghz
8GB RAM
All poker and PostgreSQL folders have been excluded from my AV scans.

sreticentv
11-08-2011, 06:28 AM
It's not enabled by default. Were there actual performance issues or was it just using some cpu? If 1.25 out of 4 of your CPU was being used (31%) then that seems like the right amount for when NC is creating notes. The thing about the hang could possibly have been nc but that was addressed yesterday or the day before

Veteran68
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Performance wasn't noticeably bad, but I did see a table lag once or twice (can't say whether it was due to HM2/NC or not). When I noticed the CPU utilization, I assumed that was the cause. 25+% CPU doesn't terribly impact my system, but on a much lesser system it would be very noticeable. So unless you're scaling your CPU load to the user's system, I don't think it's fair to assume 25-30% is okay. Certainly not on a single-core and likely not a dual-core either, especially for multi-tablers.

sreticentv
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
yeah it does scale but just to be on the safe side I am going to turn it way down by default

SilverSag
11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I have 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM and it stalls entire system. HM2 has to be one of the most inefficient softwares ever produced. From programming point of view changes between HM1 and HM2 are mostly visual. There is a minimal increase in data processing, yet difference between resources is immense. HM1 barely uses any processing power, but HM2 is just off the scale... :(

And off course NoteCaddy is not really helping in this matter.