PDA

View Full Version : HEM freezes on the cash game, tourney, players tabs

professorpain
07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I used HEM for several months without problems. I could still use the import screen and run table manager but whenever I clicked on Cash Games or the other tabs, HEM would freeze and I would have to close it by pressing C+A+D.

I backed up my database and uninstalled both postgres and HEM. I did so through control panel/add remove programs. I also tried to delete the registry so that I could rid my computer completely of all traces of both programs in hopes of a clean start, although I don't think I managed to do so as I was not asked to reenter a HEM serial code upon re installation.

After reinstalling HEM and postgres and creating a new, empty database, I am still only able to access the import screen. I can import hands and run table manager but cannot click any other tables without HEM freezing.

Anti-Viruses are not an issue.

netsrak
07-24-2009, 08:17 AM
You tell a long story without the relevant details...

Vista?

Under Vista make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73
and/or holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory.
Right click the holdemmanager.exe and the hmhud.exe executable and select "Run as admin" from the popup menu.

If that doesn't help, please answer and post these questions: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=174

professorpain
07-24-2009, 09:00 AM
My HUD works just fine, I just can't leave the import screen without my HEM freezing. I can import hands just fine too.

Windows XP

To be as clear as possible: When I click on Cash Games, Players or Tournaments HEM freezes. I can import hands and run table manager/HUD from the Import tab.

netsrak
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Please update to the latest Beta to see if it makes a difference: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

professorpain
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
it did at first, but it reverted back to locking up again after an hour or two.

netsrak
07-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Please post the answers to the questions in this FAQ to give us some more details about your system: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=174

professorpain
07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
There can be lots of reasons why your HUD doesn't work, but we need as much information as possible to be able to answer your question quickly, as doing this makes it easy for us to help you quicker.

My HUD works

1) What version of Holdem Manager are you using?

1.09 Beta 20
2) a. What poker site are you playing on and does the problem occur on more than one site?

There is no problem with my HUD

b. Have you clicked on the Start Auto Import button?

There is no problem with my HUD, but yes.

3) Often times, it is one setting or one box that has not been selected that causes the problem. Please see our detailed FAQs on configuring Holdem Manager to work with select poker sites to make sure that your HUD is set up properly for your selected poker site.

My HUD works

4) Check to see if the hand histories are showing up in the correct folder.

In Holdem Manager, navigate to Options > Configure Auto Import Folders and verify that the location of the folder Holdem Manager checks for is the hand histories folder of your poker client.

While playing, go to that folder on your PC and see if new hand histories that correspond to the tables your playing at are showing up. This is not relevant where the site uses a database like on Ongame or Prima.

If you can see the hand histories, right-click on the hand history, choose Properties and you should see the location of the hand history. Please highlight that location and copy and paste that location into the answer. This can be done by highlighting the text by holding down the left mouse button while highlighting the text and then right-clicking while the text is highlighted and choosing copy and then paste it into the forum.

4) If the hand histories are not showing up in the folder, then go back to the FAQ, as they should show you how to check the settings in the lobby to configure the poker site to save the Hand History and make sure its sending the Hand Histories to the correct location. Contact your poker site if your unsure to find out where you can set the location of the hand histories to save to.

Hand histories show up and are auto-imported without any problems

5) So by now you should have confirmed in answering each question that you have setup the folders correctly and the hands are appearing in the correct folder.

Are the hands being imported into Holdem Manager? Test this by playing a couple of hands and then going to the Reports tab in Holdem Manager. Navigate to Filter > Clear and for the date filter choose today. Do the hands that you just played import successfully?

I can import hand histories but cannot go to the Cash Games, Players, Tourney tabs

6) Have you tried the Table Finder and did it work?

If I click Table Scanner my HEM freezes up.

7) If you open the hand history files, are they written in English? Note that they should be.

English

8) Make sure UAC is disabled and unselect it and restart if it is.

Windows XP

9) Please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder.

Done.

netsrak
07-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Which service pack level of XP?

Can you give me some details about your computer system please?

professorpain
07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
service pack 3.

2gb Ram
250gb free
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ

netsrak
07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry i'm out of ideas.

Please schedule a remote support session with our support manager. Email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so he can setup a Teamviewer session.

professorpain
07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
is there anyway short of reinstalling windows to completely rid my computer of postgres + HEM, as if to start 100% fresh?

i go to add remove programs and then delete the postgres folder but it feels like there are still remains of it hanging on somewhere causing these problems...

i mean, it was working for several months without a problem so something must have gotten corrupted along the way.

fozzy71
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Vista: Turn off UAC - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

Turn off Windows Firewall for installing HM and PostgreSQL. Once you get those installed you can add exceptions to the firewall. If you have a 3rd party firewall, uninstall it completely before installing HM/SQL - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

Before you uninstall HM:

I want to re-install Holdem Manger without losing all of my settings and preferences. Can this be done? (http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=98)

You want to make sure you backup your Processed/Archived hand histories, your entire \config folder, and your exportednotes file. (http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=119) I usually just copy my entire \Holdem Manager directory.

I would also make sure you manually export the database to hand history text files:

HM > Options > Database Management > Connect > Export Hands

How do I export or import hands into and from Holdem Manager? (http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173)

Make sure you copy that folder as well as the other stuff I mentioned.

This helps to insure that if anything goes wrong with the backup/restore, you can manually import the exported files to rebuild.

For uninstalling SQL please follow these steps:

-Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
- run the command - start > run > cmd >

net user postgres /delete

- reboot.
- install PostgreSQL again, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall, using these directions and postgresql.zip version.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips
(http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=62613&posted=1#post62613)

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

*edit:
- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

Now you should be ready to do a bulk Import From Folder

Make sure you have the latest HM Beta installed:

HM > Import From Folder > point at your exported text files folder you made earlier.

\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\HandHistoryExport_YourDataBaseName

When reinstalling HM, install the full setup, then the latest beta patch and finally your config folder if you want to use your previous hud configs.

1) Make a backup of your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder, and other important files mentioned earlier.
2) Uninstall HM with Revo Uninstaller
3) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
4) Reboot your computer
5) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Download the latest patch HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe
8) Test if it for a while and see if it work
9) Close down Holdem Manager and copy the config folder from step 1 and copy and overwrite it to your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder, and import any notes and hands/database.
10) Test if it works again for a while

professorpain
07-26-2009, 04:01 AM
decided to just reinstall windows.

I chnged my bios to boot from cd-drive. i put cd in drive and restart. press a key. i see the words "Window Setup" in the upper left corner of a blue screen. I go into the other room to get something to eat and drink, when I get back, my computer appears to be off. I can see inside and the motherboard is still lighted green which I guess means that it is receiving power. My external hard drive is still lighted... But I cannot start the cpu. I unplugged it from the wall and repluged it, and again the motherboard and external hard drive lighted but I can still not get it to start/turn on. the windows xp cd is still in the drive.

1. do you think the failure is somehow correlated to trying to reinstall windows or just a fluke?

2. wtf do i do now? what steps do i take to figure out whether the prob is the psu or something else? hdd failed?

thx

professorpain
07-26-2009, 04:07 AM

I chnged my bios to boot from cd-drive. i put cd in drive and restart. press a key. i see the words "Window Setup" in the upper left corner of a blue screen. I go into the other room to get something to eat and drink, when I get back, my computer appears to be off. I can see inside and the motherboard is still lighted green which I guess means that it is receiving power. My external hard drive is still lighted... But I cannot start the cpu. I unplugged it from the wall and repluged it, and again the motherboard and external hard drive lighted but I can still not get it to start/turn on. the windows xp cd is still in the drive.

1. do you think the failure is somehow correlated to trying to reinstall windows or just a fluke?

2. wtf do i do now? what steps do i take to figure out whether the prob is the psu or something else? hdd failed?

thx

professorpain
07-26-2009, 04:12 AM

thx

professorpain
07-26-2009, 05:11 AM
i disconnected the power supply and jumped it by plugging it into a wall and putting one end of a paper clip in the green wire slot and one in a black wire slot and the fan turned on, which according to the website i am looking at, means the psu is not the problem.

what do i do now?

netsrak
07-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Sorry but we can't give you hardware support.