PDA

View Full Version : Error When Retrieving Player List

mpethybridge
07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Hello:

I was using HEM and when I switched from "this month" to "all hands" in the date range box, instead of loading all hands, I got the error message on the right hand side of this screen capture:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z293/mpethybridge/noplayers.jpg

I closed HEM and restarted it. This did not fix the problem.

I then closed everything and rebooted my computer, then reopened HEM. I got the same error message.

I then ran a vacuum analyze hoping to correct the problem, and the vacuum stalled when it detected the same error, as shown on the left of the screen capture above. The vacuum will not proceed past this point.

I can open HEM, but it incorrectly shows that I have no players in my DB:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z293/mpethybridge/noplayers2.jpg

Suggestions?

fozzy71
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Looks like you will need to create a new database (http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146) at the very least, or possibly reinstall SQL. You should also update to 1.09 Beta 20 from the link in my signature.

If you reinstall SQL:

Vista: Turn off UAC - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

Turn off Windows Firewall for installing HM and PostgreSQL. Once you get those installed you can add exceptions to the firewall. If you have a 3rd party firewall, uninstall it completely before installing HM/SQL - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

For uninstalling SQL please follow these steps:

-Download Revo Uninstaller and use it to uninstall PostgreSQL. After it uninstalls it will give you options to select and delete all the associated registry entries.
- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
- run the command - start > run > cmd >

net user postgres /delete

- reboot.
- install again, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips
(http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=62613&posted=1#post62613)

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

*edit:
- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

mpethybridge
07-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I updated to the newest beta and I created a new database. After uploading all of the hands to my new database, I decided to purge some of them. After the purge, I got a message that said to reclaim the space, I would have to do a vacuum analyze. I did that, and I got the now familiar error message in the vacuum analyze, that sql couldn't read a specific block, that it was an "invalid argument." The vacuum would not proceed past that point.

I started HEM, and it went to the "optimizing players" screen. This process stalls about 2/3 of the time. I have tried it 8 or 9 times now. It will not complete. It either stops responding (2/3 of the time) or it gives me an error message that it can't read the block that sql says is an invalid argument.

On those occasions when I get the error message and click ok, HEM then starts and appears to run normally. But then when I turn it off and restart it, it sends me right back to the optimizing players process...

Getting a little frustrated, and it is 50/50 that if I have to create yet another database (my 4th in 10 days) that it will be a PT3 database. Li'l help? Time to uninstall/reinstall sql?

netsrak
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Time to install a new harddisk and reinstall operating system etc. from scratch

mpethybridge
07-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Time to install a new harddisk and reinstall operating system etc. from scratch

My computer crashed a few weeks ago, and I just reinstalled my OS. HEM has not worked correctly since then. You may be onto something. Can you explain why you think the hard drive is the problem?

netsrak
07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Because data in the database normally get corrupt when a program has a fault or the harddisk has problems.

As Holdemmanager is working pretty solid for 99% of the users i think its your harddisk.
And if you have this problems after a fresh installation makes me more sure that it is the harddisk. Its the part of the computer which causes the most problems.

mpethybridge
07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Because data in the database normally get corrupt when a program has a fault or the harddisk has problems.

As Holdemmanager is working pretty solid for 99% of the users i think its your harddisk.
And if you have this problems after a fresh installation makes me more sure that it is the harddisk. Its the part of the computer which causes the most problems.

OK, all of this makes sense, unfortunately.

Brag: Buying a new computer, evidently.

Beat: Buying a new computer, evidently.

Variance: Gonna make my 4th database in 2 weeks.

Thanks guys.

fozzy71
07-26-2009, 05:59 PM
OK, all of this makes sense, unfortunately.

Brag: Buying a new computer, evidently.

Beat: Buying a new computer, evidently.

Variance: Gonna make my 4th database in 2 weeks.

Thanks guys.

Standard. I have had my current PC since Jan '07 and have reformatted 6 or 7 times so far. Usually just so it will boot and work faster/easier. I plan to buy/build a new PC in a couple of months as well. Time for a couple SSD's IMO.