PDA

View Full Version : Issues using HM over networks

Zouleous
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm assisting someone with setting up his two networked computers to work with HM using a shared postgreSQL database like what is talked about here: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=161.

While I was able to get HM to communicate with the database on the remote computer it's very very slow to open HM. After waiting a good 5 minutes it finally gives you the HM interface. I initially saw the HUD work when we tested it although it seemed to take 5 hands or so before it started showing stats. Not sure why that was. Then he said he played last night and wasn't able to get a HUD even after 50 hands. Clearly his setup still needs some work.

On my computers everything runs flawlessly. It's fast enough that I can't tell the difference that I'm not connected to a local database. On my server I'm using PostgreSQL 8.4 beta2 and both computers run HM 1.09 beta 18.

This person I'm assisting is running PostgreSQL 8.2. I noticed some speed improvement comments made in version 8.4. Is it necessary that he upgrades his postgreSQL? Any suggestions? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

netsrak
07-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Even Postgresql 8.2 should work ok in a network. So the problem is as i think a slow network itself or something blocking / slowing down the communication on one of the computers.

You should use pgadmin on the client and connect to the database server to do some testing of this.

Zouleous
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Aside from just making a connection using PGadmin I'm not sure what I can do to actually test the connection.

netsrak
07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
You can use the Query tool to generate SQL statements,
for example "select count(*) from playerhands" gives you the number of hands in your database

Zouleous
07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I am able to connect my pgadmin to his database fairly quickly. That's running over the internet on the other side of the country. Then I ran DBControlPanel.exe to see how well I accessed his data. I entered his server and credentials. I get the listing for his 3 databases fairly quickly. I pick his HM database and try to connect but then it just hangs. After a solid 4-5 minutes I finally get an HM interface. At this point queries seem to take about 10-15 seconds.

ffrllc
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm the one Zouleous is trying to help. Just wanted to bump this to see if we can get some ideas to get things working.

Like Zouleous, when I connect to the remote computer, I get the list of my DB's fairly quickly (3 total). The issue is when I try to connect to my HM DB on that remote computer, it takes between 5-10 minutes to actually make the connection and open HM.

Then when connected, the HUD doesn't work at all. When I first tested this, the HUD popped up after about 10 hands, but I can't get it to pop up at all since that very first test.

Any ideas what we can try next?

netsrak
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry guys this is not Holdemmanager related, it is a very specific Postgresql question. You should ask this at www.postgresql.org

ffrllc
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, we've made some progress. I installed postgreSQL 8.4 and now we can get a working connection (HH do import and the HUD works as well).

The problem we still have is the initial start up of HM for each session. When I open HM, the connection to the remote server is made quickly, but it's the HM application that will not open for several minutes.

Would this really be a postgreSQL issue? From my novice opinion it seems to be a HM setting or configuration issue as the connection to postgreSQL is made quickly. I obviously could be very wrong so if I should still ask this in a postgreSQL forum, please let me know where to ask it (if you have a direct link that would be appreciated as I couldn't find where to ask this on www.postgresql.org. I click "community", but can't find the forums)

netsrak
08-04-2009, 05:29 AM
For the Postgresql communities you should find some groups here: http://pugs.postgresql.org/

and i'll forward this thread to fabio for a statement.

fabio
08-05-2009, 10:47 AM
My guess is a firewall is blocking HM somehow, therefor it takes that long

ffrllc
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Fabio,

I set my PC's firewall to allow HoldemManager.exe and HMHud.exe. I've also set my router to allow both. So neither should be trying to slow or block the connection, right?

Any other possible suggestions?