PDA

View Full Version : pgsql seems to get stuck.

Cappella
08-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi,

It's been a few days I'm experiencing troubles with hem & pgsql. All worked fine before, then now, suddenly hem cannot access the db, if I exit hem and restart it it tells about database connection timeout. I am unable to connect through pgsql console (it's stuck trying to connect indefinetly) and pgadmin does the same when try to connect to db. I tried to stop the service, it seems to be done instantly, but if I try to start the service, it is taking forever and never starts it. The only solution I found is to shutdown my computer and restart, then all works fine... for a short while before getting stuck again.

Could it be related to database size? (6 million hands)?

I tried upgrade hem to version 1.06.02 and pgsql to 8.3.3 but it's exactly the same problem.

I have searched online but found nothing related to my problem, if anyone could help, that'd be great.

Thanks,
David.

fabio
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Its most likely a problem with your antivirus

Cappella
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm using bitdefender 2009, Is there a known problem with it? Also, it has been working fine for a while, but started to stuck regularly 3 days ago.

I noticed something interesting when it's stuck: in the task manager, there's a postgres.exe process with 80Kb memory usage only (IO Ready/write are 0), and that process is impossible to kill (Access denied), even process explorer is unable to kill it but shows strange infos about it :
File \Device\Afd\Endpoint
File \Device\NamedPipe\Win32Pipes.00000730.00000002
File \Device\NamedPipe\Win32Pipes.00000730.00000002
File \Device\Afd\Endpoint
File \Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data
Process <Non-existent Process>(1840)

On top of that Windows has no Description or Name for the process and also, Image file for the process doesn't exist. (all other postgres.exe instances are named PostgreSQL Server + they have image file c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin.postgres.exe" and they are killable). Others are also shown to have a "non existent process" as parent so I guess that is ok. Process has only one thread, and when I try to terminate it I get a message "Unable to access Thread"

Seems the process is somewhat messed up, and it's related to named pipe. I searched on many postgres forums, but I didn't find anything related.

Well I know this is not a postgre forum :-) but I never used postgre for anything else than hem...

morny
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Can you try the following: http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=153

Also go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data and delete the postmaster.pid file if theres one there

Cappella
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi,

I did try, but it didn't help... same problem (except now postgres.exe processes belongs to "SYSTEM"). So I uninstalled my antivirus... and no more problems....

Any idea if there something I can do to have both antivirus and database on my computer? If not, I guess I'll get another box for the DB

David.

fabio
08-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I never used Bitdefender, but maybe you can add postgres to a trusted zone or something