PDA

View Full Version : Error in downloading PostgreSQL - please help

mak
07-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I recently reformatted my computer with Windows XP. After updating all my drivers and doing ALL of the window updates, I finally got to the point of trying to re-install Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL. However, Windows Installer won't let me instal PostgreSQL.

Here's what happened:

When I was ready to download PostgreSQL, I completely uninstalled my recently installed 3rd party firewall. When it was uninstalled, my windows firewall came on. So, I went and turned it off. Then I went and downloaded the zipped postgreSQL files.

I unzipped the files using WinZip and then double clicked the file labled, "pastgresql-8.3.msi". That brought me to the screen asking me what language I wanted to use. I selected "English". Then, I received the following Windows Installer error:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

I could go no further in the installation process. I have googled this error, and most people seem to think it is a problem with Windows Installer itself. However, I have done all the Window updates (up to Windows XP service pack 3, plus any other updates available). I also downloaded the latest Windows Installer programs from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4

However, to no avail. Since my re-boot, I haven't gotten this error on any other programs I have downloaded and reinstalled. Although, I believe this might be the only "zipped" program I have tried to install. I think any other programs I have reinstalled so far did not require unzipping them. Perhaps this has something to do with the problem.

Anyhow, I need some help. What can I do?

netsrak
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
The solution is very easy and normally you should find it immediately when you read the Readme file: you must completely unzip the downloaded file to a temporary folder and start the installation from this folder.

mak
07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks. I should have thought of that. I guess my brain is a little frazzled from all the work it takes to get me system working well again.