PDA

View Full Version : Can't start hem after attempting to back up hands

ads
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi, after I had hard drive problems a few months ago I thought it would be a good idea to back up all the hands currently in my database so that if something went wrong I could create a new database and at least have all the same data up until that point. So I recently purchased an external hard drive and went ahead with exporting the hands from the database management in the hem tabs.

What I didn't realise was that the hands were exported straight to a new folder in the rvg software folder in my program files (I had hoped to export them straight to my external hard drive). What eventually happened was the export got part of the way through then stopped as my hard drive ran out of space. I moved over the folder that had been created into the external hard drive (about 9 gb worth) and freed up some more space with the intention of re-exporting the rest, or all of them again if I had to. However now I cannot even start holdem manager. When I attempt to start it as normal I get the message "Xenocode Virtual Appliance Runtime: This application has encountered an error: 0xD000011E. Please contact the publisher of this application for more information"

I've noticed that I can still use spade eye with my database and it still exists in "databases" in pgAdmin so it appears that all the data is ok, I just can't run holdem manager.

I appreciate any help with this matter.

Regards, ads

netsrak
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
You should reinstall holdemmanager

fozzy71
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Can you follow these instructions:

1) Make a backup of your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder
2) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
3) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
4) Reboot your computer
5) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Download the latest patch HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe
8) Test if it for a while and see if it work
9) Close down Holdem Manager and copy the config folder from step 1 and copy and overwrite it to your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder
10) Test if it works again for a while

ads
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
thanks - after reinstalling, everything seems to be working ok. Quick question - if I would like to back up the hand histories that make up my database is there any way of choosing where they are saved so that I can save them to an external hard drive, or is the only way to let it save them locally and then move them? Thanks

fozzy71
07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately, you can not choose the destination.

You may want to see how much space is being wasted by your SQL log files. Then turn off the logging and delete the files you have accumulated. This can be quite substantial sometimes.

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips
(http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=62613&posted=1#post62613)

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

ads
07-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks I have turned the logging off and deleted those files. Holdem manager seems to be working fine since I reinstalled it, should I get rid of the old config folder or should I wait for a while?

fozzy71
07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Your original config folder? If you had custom hud configs, you may want the prefs.xml or any exported HUD xml files in there. The only other thing in there that can be important, is the holdemmanger.config file so you don't have to reset some of your basic settings. But if you already have the new installation all setup and working, there is no real need for the old .config file. One last thing in there you might need, would be any custom popup files (.pop) you may have created.