PDA

View Full Version : Database restore failure

daedalus 9
07-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I keep getting a "not responding" crash when I run 'restore database' in pgadminIII. I've got a db backup file on my external hd that I backed up the db too. this is what I'm trying to restore from.

Any other workarounds. this is my only real restore option since my hand histories are few outside of the database.

netsrak
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Is your postgresql service running?
Does pgadmin connect to the database server?

Please post the exact error message and details of your system (Operating system, Postgresql version...)

daedalus 9
07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
running vista, PostgreSql8.3, latest HEM beta, plenty of space and CPU on my machine

sql service is running (at least I ran "start service" and I se multiple "postgres.exe" processes running in task manager.

I think it connected to the server since there is no 'red x'.

It runs for a while ('ok' button greyed out') then I get the "(not responding)" which hangs it and I have to kill the process. It's not giving me the error now just hanging perpetually/

At the bottom of pgadminIII it says "Retrieving Database details....Done." and on the bottom right is says "0.13 secs".

Issue #2:

Also...I get the following error when I start up HEM "An error occurred when retrieving the player list: Error: 22P05: character 0x9d of encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8".

What is this?

daedalus 9
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
now I get a "Process returned exit code 0."

daedalus 9
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
One other thing. my backup file is about 250MB. Is that the right size for about 1/2 million hands? How long should this take to restore assuming everything works?

netsrak
07-12-2009, 06:10 PM
The size is right. Give it some hours (1-2) of time, maybe a little bit longer.

BTW: exit code 0 means no problem, everything is fine...:)

fozzy71
07-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Also...I get the following error when I start up HEM "An error occurred when retrieving the player list: Error: 22P05: character 0x9d of encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8".

What is this?

Are you certain you are using the same version of PostgreSQL?

daedalus 9
07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
No, I'm not sure what PostSQL version the backup was created in. My HD crashed so to reinstall, I just downloaded the latest PostSQL version (8.3). Is it not backwards compatible? I don't know what version my original db was in.

I opened the HEMdb backup file in notepad and found a string that says "HoldemManagerNULENQNULNULNUL8.3.4"

could that be the sql version? I created this about a year ago so what is the backward compatibility issue I need to work around?

fozzy71
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I can not say what that means for sure.

I believe as long as the major version number is the same, it is supposed to work. The SQL package we distribute is 8.3.7.

If you wanted to try 8.3.4 you can still download it here - http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.4/win32/