PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive failed, backed up HEM How do I reinstall?

robw1028
10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Hard drive failed to the point where windows would not start. I subsequently transferred the files from the old hard drive to an external and installed a new hard drive. Now I have a 90GB PostgreSQL (9.0) file that I moved onto the new hard drive and I have installed HEM. How do I make it so that I can get my old database up and running? I am using Windows 7. Thanks in advance.

Sarek
10-21-2011, 03:05 AM
1) You need only "postgresql/data" subfolder. Whole. Get it and place anywhere on new HDD. You even can rename it as you wish. Then open this folder and delete 2 files:
postmaster.pid
postmaster.opts
of they exist. Do not touch any other file there!

2) Go to PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and download the same 9.0 version installator. Or find Postgres install file you used previously somewhere on the old disk and use it (if this is possible). This is better, because we are sure you use exactly the same Postgres version as it was.

3) Run Postgres installer (!!! as admin, by right-click !!!) and proceed step by step.
On the one of the install screens it will allow you to set Data directory location - select there path to "old data folder" from (1).
When installer asks for password - set it as it was in old Postgres.
Then go through all install steps and hopefully you will get all data for HM back.

robw1028
10-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Took the entire 90GB data folder and put it on my desktop. Renamed it HEM. Found the old version of postgresql that I used and go through the installation wizard as administrator. Second page is installation directory where postgresql will be installed and I change it to C:\Users\Rob\Desktop\HEM click next. Then it asks to select a directory under which to store data and I keep it at C:\Users\Rob\Desktop\HEM\data. Enter the password postgrespass. Next it asks for the port and I keep it on 5432. Next Locale to be used by the new database cluster I keep it on default locale. Gets all the way to the end of installing and when a warning popup that says Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server. Click ok. Installation completes and I attempt to run Holdem Manager and get the message failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Sarek
10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
1) putting Data folder on desktop is bad idea.
c:/Data_old
or something like this

2) When install wizard asks where to install Postgres binary files - let it as is (c:/program files...)
3) But when it asks - where to store data - say him this c:/data_old
btw, have you deleted 2 files from there?

4) All other do by defaults, as you described

robw1028
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Ok. Followed instructions including deleting the 2 postmaster files from data. Installation completed without any errors. I opted not to add stackbuilder. When I go to open Holdem Manager, I get The following error occurred when trying to open the database: FATAL: 3D000: database "holdemmanager" does not exist. What now? Thanks.

netsrak
10-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Do you see any other databases in the database management window?
What databases do you see if you connect to your database server via pgadmin?

robw1028
10-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure how to access my database management window but when I connect via pgadmin there are 2 servers listed postgresql 8.4 and postgresql 9.0. Under the 9.0 there are 2 databases listed, one being HEM10 which is the name of my old database that I am trying to restore. The other is called postgres. If it means anything under the HEM10 database, it says (2) Catalogs and (1) Schemas and replication (0). Feels like we're getting close.

Patvs
10-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Run dbcontrolpanel.exe from the HoldemManager folder.
Connect--> select your database--> start HoldemManager.

robw1028
10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Problem solved! I thank each of you so much for your help and brilliance! Great job! Thanks again guys.