PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing Postgres

Skills
07-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi there,

I am reasonably technically proficient but been having great difficulty getting postgres to install.

I am running vista and have got user account control disabled, 100%.

I have reinstalled the program a number of times but the same thing happens at the end when it goes to start the service. It says Progres service failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services. I am logged in as an Administrator when doing so.

I did have a problem on the first install and I cancelled out of it. However, the first profile I built is still there as a service. That is is still remembers the password for the user account I put in. Is there anyway of deleting this service so I can try and reinstall again.

Any or all other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Skills.

Skills
07-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Futher to my post above.

I can find the postgres service and admin tools / services and it just sits there saying starting.

I suspect the problem is here. Does anyone know how to delete or uninstall this service?

Thanks, Skills.

fozzy71
07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
It looks like you found your answer in another thread, but just in case anyone needs it:

For uninstalling SQL please follow these steps:

-Download Revo Uninstaller and use it to uninstall PostgreSQL. After it uninstalls it will give you options to select and delete all the associated registry entries.
- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
- run the command - start > run > cmd >

net user postgres /delete

- reboot.
- install again, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall