PDA

View Full Version : New database every month, same notes, how ??

Leif
07-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I buy a lot of hands, and make a new database every month and delete the old ones (because 1. want fresh stats and 2. cant run too big of a database).

But i have just started using the notes in HEM, since they now works perfect with the new Ongame software + the new Ongame software has very bad note-taking compared to the old one.

When i export from june it says "46 notes exported", but when i import it to my new july database it only imports 2 notes ??

fozzy71
07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
HM has Purge and Delete options, if you wanted to try using the same database for a longer period of time.

Purge - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=107

Delete - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=152

I will have to ask about the notes issue. I have exported/imported (pokerstars notes) once or twice, but I honestly didn't pay close attention. I will forward this to the developer and one of us will reply before too long.

Leif
07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
"HM has Purge and Delete options, if you wanted to try using the same database for a longer period of time".

Thats exactly what i DONT want to do, if i used the same database for a long time i wouldn't have the problem.

I simply start every month with e new database, otherwise the would be enourmous.

It's like 30GB / month.

My "system" works fine, except from the notes getting lost every time i start a new database.

I understand that my problem is somewhat special, since i change databases so often, but eventually most players need e fresh database because of storage and PC-power issues. And when that day comes their notes in HEM will be worthless since they are connected to their database.

I think it would be a huge improvement if you could like "purge" a database's notes, and import them to a new database.

I understand that you would have a lot of notes on players that is't present in you new database, and they would have to wait to get active when / if that player turned up in that new database again (and then be connected to the player (same way the note folder on a poker-skin works) - don't know if that's possible to make in HEM ?

But how does it work with the import from I-poker, Party and Stars folders ?

Anyway; i don't understand the point in the import/export function if it only works with same databases - then you would just copy the database (including notes)

fozzy71
07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I have forwarded this thread to the developers for a reply about the notes issues. They will be much better equipped to answer your questions. Something you should probably do, if you haven't already, is turn off the PostgreSQL Logging. I had one customer that had a 21GB DB, and 18GB of it was taken up by (useless) log files.

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.