PDA

View Full Version : 8 hours and I still cant download HEM and PostgreSQL..Please Help

lvkajunkid
07-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Here are the details of what I have done over 8 hours to try to install HEM and PostgreSQL.

First I purchased, and downloaded the latest version of HEM from the site. Then I downloaded PostgreSQL 8.4.

I noticed PostgreSQL 8.4 didn't have the same screens while installing as the screenshots in FAQ 176, so I uninstalled it and downloaded PostgreSQL 8.3.7. This looked the same as 8.4. When I logged in to HEM and registered it, I got the message that it couldnt connect to PostgreSQL. Possible reason being using 8.4 it never asked me for a account name, postgres being the default 8.3 way. I tried this several times.
For some reason I couldnt uninstall 8.3.7 so I did a system restore to the day before I downloaded HEM, which was 4 or 5 days ago. All traces of HEM and PostgreSQL dissapeared after the system restore.

Now I went to FAQ 176 and followed the directions for setup again, this time using PostgreSQL 8.3.

I went to Windows Control Panel - Users and disabled User Access Controls before I started.

I downloaded the Setup Package from the link at the top of FAQ 176.

Now all of the screens looked the same as in the FAQ and I made it to step 10, the Initialize Database Cluster screen. Upon clicking the Next button, I got a message that read:
"The specified data directory is not empty. If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster. If you have an existing database with a different major version number you need to backup your old database and create a new one."

I went into the C: drive and tried to delete PostgreSQL folder but it keeps denying me permission. I then created an Admin log in, logged out and signed in as Admin, but I got the same box saying that I needed permission to delete the file folder, with no instructions on how to get permission to do so.

So now its 8 hours later and I am still sitting here with nothing done. This is very frustrating to say the least.

Also, in case its needed, my laptop is running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit.

At first I installed HEM and PostgreSQL 8.4 with Norton turned off but still installed, but once I saw it wasnt working I uninstalled Norton. Then I tried again with the 8.3.7 folling the instructions in the FAQ about if I have a problem connecting to PostgreSQL. Then I got the cannot connect to PostgreSQL message possibly because 8.4 never asked me for an account name, postgres being the default 8.3 way. After doing the system restore as mentioned earlier, the Norton Anti Virus icon was still there in the Add/Remove programs but it wouldnt let me uninstall. I looked at the task manager and it wasnt running so I am unsure of whether it is actually uninstalled or not, but it definitely want running because there was no icon in my task bar and it wasnt running in task manager either.

efiong
07-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Sounds like the PostGres install was completed (bar the database clustering) and now you've got the PostGres service running in the background.

Have a look for "PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3" in your services list.

You won't be able to delete the folder while its running. You might to try uninstalling PostGres again, and after its been uninstalled, delete the relevant folder(s) before running the install again.

A system restore probably wouldn't have deleted the old database files.

netsrak
07-04-2009, 05:35 AM
If you need further assistance please send a mail with a link to this thread to fabio@holdemmanager.net to arrange a teamviewer session.

lvkajunkid
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
If you need further assistance please send a mail with a link to this thread to fabio@holdemmanager.net to arrange a teamviewer session.

Thanks. Took a few days but I will try to set up a session. Downloaded to my desktop with XP in less than 10 minutes, but I am over the 9 hour mark now with Vista on my laptop.

fozzy71
07-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I would recommend you download Revo Uninstaller, and use it to fully uninstall both Postgresql 8.3 and 8.4. Following these instructions.

For uninstalling SQL please follow these steps:

-Download Revo Uninstaller and use it to uninstall PostgreSQL. After it uninstalls it will give you options to select and delete all the associated registry entries.
- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
- run the command - start > run > cmd >

net user postgres /delete

- reboot.
- install again, following the instructions for 8.3 in the HM FAQs, with UAC off, and your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall.

If you need any help with it let me know, and I could do a remote support session, if Fabio is unavailable right away. I don't know that I would have time for it tonight, but I am available all day tomorrow. If you want to, email me with a link to this thread at fozzy@holdemmanager.net

lvkajunkid
07-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I would recommend you download Revo Uninstaller, and use it to fully uninstall both Postgresql 8.3 and 8.4. Following these instructions.

For uninstalling SQL please follow these steps:

-Download Revo Uninstaller and use it to uninstall PostgreSQL. After it uninstalls it will give you options to select and delete all the associated registry entries.
- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders

- reboot.
- install again, following the instructions for 8.3 in the HM FAQs, with UAC off, and your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall.

If you need any help with it let me know, and I could do a remote support session, if Fabio is unavailable right away. I don't know that I would have time for it tonight, but I am available all day tomorrow. If you want to, email me with a link to this thread at fozzy@holdemmanager.net

So I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and nowhere in the list of programs that i have installed is PostgreSQL listed. I knew this would be the case because it no longer shows up in my list of programs in the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel. The place where it is still listed is in C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL. It has a bunch of subfolders after that starting with one called "Data". These are the ones that I cannot delete because it says I dont have permission. I have tried everything I know to delete these files, and my girlfriend has as well and she is a PMI certified Prject manager for IT solutions for an oil company in Houston. Anyway, let me know if there is a way I can direct Revo uninstaller to this C drive folder, etc.

fozzy71
07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Will you be available sometime today so I could take a look at it personally? If I can't figure out what's going on and get you running in an hour's time, then I will get our support manager to assist you. I have never seen such a problem, and I have done a fair number of uninstall/reinstalls of postgresql.

Please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.

Kaizen2000
07-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Will you be available sometime today so I could take a look at it personally? If I can't figure out what's going on and get you running in an hour's time, then I will get our support manager to assist you. I have never seen such a problem, and I have done a fair number of uninstall/reinstalls of postgresql.

Please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.
Well known problem gents. You will not be able to delete this files via REVO.
Use Nitch Collomb's unlocker instead.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

fozzy71
07-07-2009, 08:16 AM
TY for posting that. Hopefully it gets him over this hurdle.

Please make sure once you delete those folders, that you also delete your postgres user account.

- reboot.
- install again, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall

lvkajunkid
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Just got home from 5 weeks in Vegas, and a short 3 day vacation in San Antonio. Headed back out of town tomorrow and really want this set up so I will try these things listed above and let you know the results. Thanks for the help guys.

lvkajunkid
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
OK, downloaded the collumb unlocker and doing what it sdays, but there is no "unlock" option when i right click on postgreSQL in the
C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL. I must admit now after 10+ hours trying different things I am getting very frustrated :confused:

lvkajunkid
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Fozzy, if you're still around I'd like to do a team viewer quick session if you can. Headed out of town tomorrow for a funeral, so I'd really like to get this done.

fozzy71
07-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can have a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings. Start the software and send me the ID and Password.

lvkajunkid
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can have a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings. Start the software and send me the ID and Password.

I sent an email requesting Teamviwer so hopefully this can get resolved soon. Thanks.

fozzy71
07-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I can't connect cuz you apparently set it so you have to allow the connection??

lvkajunkid
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
yes, i am here now. i will allow it when it prompts

I believed I changed the settings so it can be accessed.

lvkajunkid
07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!! I really appreciate the time you spent on Teamviewer and setting my HEM up correctly. Sorry the Teamviewer kept going out on us. I assume you were finished though. Thanks again for all the help!

fozzy71
07-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Yes, I think we covered the basics. If you have more questions or problems please make a thread, or you can use the Quick/Easy Questions thread I made at the top of this forum.