PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install postgre W7

tilteduser
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for your help.

I have this need new PC with Windows 7. I tried to install what apparently was HEM+PostgreSQL with the Combo Install, and it did not work. Then I read the FAQ, and uninstalled Norton, and then reboot, now I am using Avast! so it should be fine, but I have the same problem again, same error message again.

Oh, and something is funny whenever I use the Combo Installer, it creates a new user on my computer, the user "postgre" is this normal?

Regards

Sarek
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, new user is normal. It should be created, else Postgres won't work.

If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/) )
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows)
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /del
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

tilteduser
10-05-2011, 01:08 PM
e/I'm sorry I've been looking for answers while you replied. Thanks, I'll do this!

Would this do the trick?

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/126901-cant-install-postgresql-windows-7-64bit.html

"1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed."

And what is this? The name of my PC has a ' in it, should I remove it? What is an "EN name"?

Sarek
10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
This means: if you have Russian (or French, or else) Windows - your PC name possibly contains "non-english" letters.
Like "Вася-PC" or "Renč-PC"
The same with windows username. Or spaces in name.
Postgres don't like that - at all.
I don't know exactly about symbol ' - what will happens.

tilteduser
10-05-2011, 02:34 PM
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3158/unledrys.jpg

Well I removed the space in the name of the account that I'm using, now it did not create a postgre account this time. Of course somewhere from step 7 it does not work, I really don't know what to do.

e/ It can't be 8 since I set Windows in English.

tilteduser
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
It actually works now, in the meantime I talked to a friend that installed it in like 10 minutes, then I deleted everything of HEM/Postgre, rebooted, and combo intsallation worked... Thanks for your time and help!