PDA

View Full Version : Newly installed HM wont open

Charlie
07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I've been through the download and install routine of Postgres and HM twice without success - after a coomplete uninstall.

Everything appears to install successfully but double clicking the HM icon just brings up an error message - "Holdem Manager has encountered a problem and had to close".

Turning off the Firewall makes no difference. I am running Windows XP

Thanks

fozzy71
07-01-2009, 10:39 PM
See if this helps/works:

first reboot and then

1) Open up control panel
2) Double click on Administrative Tools
3) Double click on Services
4) Find the postgresql service in the list then right click and press “Start”

If it gives an error then check event viewer also in Administrative Tools and find Application and look for a postgres error. If the details mention a bogus postmaster.pid then delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file and try the instructions again.

When you uninstalled postgresql, did you also delete the postgres user account? If you didn't, did it give you an error during installation similar to 'Invalid Username Specified' and make you name it something else like holdemmanager?

I would try uninstalling SQL again, but using the following procedure. Also make sure you download the latest beta of HM from the link in my Sig. I just used this process earlier today to uninstall SQL so I could go thru the backup/restore process for my own experience/education.

-Download Revo Uninstaller and use it to uninstall PostgreSQL. After it uninstalls it will give you options to select and delete all the associated registry entries.
- manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
- run the command - start > run > cmd >

net user postgres /delete
- reboot.
- install again, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall
Install SQL again using this one-click installer - http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows

Charlie
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
When you uninstalled postgresql, did you also delete the postgres user account? If you didn't, did it give you an error during installation similar to 'Invalid Username Specified' and make you name it something else like holdemmanager?

I carried out the full uninstall you describe - including the deletion of the user account - and didn't encounter any error messages. Everything appeared to go smoothly.

What I didn't do was turn off the firewall during download and installation and had to tell the firewall to permit the process a couple of times.

Find the postgresql service in the list then right click and press “Start”

Interesting difference: When I found the service the option was to "Restart".

Anyway, still the same problem. I'll try another uninstall/reinstall later today, this time without the firewall. Anything else I could try in the meantime?

Thanks

fozzy71
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
If that doesn't work I think we will want to schedule you a teamviewer session so we can get you back up and running asap.

I have 1 or 2 remote support sessions scheduled for today, but I could probably help you, if necessary, later this afternoon or early evening.

If you need to schedule remote support - Please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.

Charlie
07-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I've tried reinstalling again and updating to the Beta version - still the same error message. I will contact you to arrange a Teamviewer session.

fozzy71
07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Email received. I should be contacting you sometime this morning. If I don't for any reason, please don't hesitate to shoot me another reminder. I have been known to get distracted on occasion. ;)