PDA

View Full Version : Hierarchical HUD for tourney players

SuperSized
10-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I have been thinking about how the HM throws away a load of potentially valuable information by lumping data for stats togther. A regular will play very differently with 5BB to 10BB, in the SB compared to EP. I'm aware that much of this information is available by clicking an icon in the HUD, but as a multi-tabler I don't have the dexterity with an xbox controller to click a small icon.

I have been thinking about a hierarchical HUD that drills down through the following list based on rules about sample size. So for any particular player, you would only more further down the structure if you had sufficient hands.

- Main stat e.g. PFR or VPIP
- Main stat + position
- Main stat + position + # BBs
- Main stat + position + # BBs + # players

All of these are already possible, it's just a matter of blending them together in a rule-based environment.

udbrky
10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Have you tried the tourney filters in hud options? It sets it so that you can see vpip and pfr and really any stat based on a set range for bb's for the player

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 03:51 AM
I have used this tourney filter, but in many situations this filter doesn't work well because we don't have sufficient hands on our opponents. It doesn't make sense to try to apply a HUD filter to sample that is too small. On the other hand, for opponents for which we have many hands, throwing away all the extra information we have seems rather wasteful.

johncc
10-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Have you tried the tourney filters in hud options? It sets it so that you can see vpip and pfr and really any stat based on a set range for bb's for the player

never used this before, where can i find what it means

as line one say 1 to 2 (1 to 2 what) then it say min 1 max 2 (what)

In the description it syas we use the 10bb line (what 10bb line)

it then says use line 10 I have no idea what that is showing, any help appreciated

johncc
10-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Ok i figured this out as what pops up in the main, shows the info, however;

Is it possible to put this in HUD stats and not the Main because i never ever use the main as i cant see the point of it

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 06:19 AM
This explains it http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/427/Tourney+HUD+Filters

The first number is the targets stack in BB, the min-max defines which data will be included. For example if you set the first line (1-2 BB) to min 1, max 5, then when the villain has 1-2 BBs, it will include data from when the villain had 1 to 5 BB even though he has 1.x BB.

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Duplicated post

johncc
10-04-2011, 06:38 AM
thanks but that link appears to mix up HM1 and 2 by the look of the layout

so if i select 1-10bb and 11-20 all the defs still appear in the main pop up

so in line one i select 1-10bb yet it shows 1-2, 2-3, 4-5 etc when i revoed these by using 1-10 in the first line

http://i56.tinypic.com/16aun1s.png

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
I forgot one more tier to the HUD. This would encapsulate the villain's stack size compared to the rest of the table. For example, a player may shove 40% from the BTN with the 2nd biggest stack, 3 handed, but 80% in the same situation when he is the biggest stack.

- Main stat e.g. PFR or VPIP
- Main stat + position
- Main stat + position + # BBs
- Main stat + position + # BBs + # players
- Main stat + position + # BBs + # players + position at table (e.g. 1st or 2nd)

johncc
10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Thansk but for the life of me i cant see how i can incorporate, main stat + position etc etc.

Where do i add this in, because i cant in the tourney filters as far as i can tell

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 06:55 AM
The way tournament filters are set up is identical to HM1. This was tagged onto HM2 from HM1. The pop-up does look different compared to HM1 though.

I understand what you are saying in your post. The way that HM deals with these HUD filters is confusing and needs addressing ... take note support! When you set 1-10bb in the first line, this will not change the stack size categories in the pop-up. All it does is put all the data when the villain had 1-10bb and put it in the category '1-2' bb.

The idea was to give the filter some flexibility because when you drill down to a category like '7-8' bb, you'll likely not have enough data in that category. So this filter gives you the option of including data from a broader range like from 6 bb to 10 bb and pretending like the villain had '7-8' bb. IMO it's very confusing and needs some attention.

SuperSized
10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Thansk but for the life of me i cant see how i can incorporate, main stat + position etc etc.

Where do i add this in, because i cant in the tourney filters as far as i can tell
You can already break down PPF and VPIP by position. They are in the HUD stats list.

The point of this thread is that this is a concept for a tourney HUD. It doesn't exist yet! What I'm getting at is that while most of these filters are already available, it's sometimes incorrect to apply them on small datasets. You are going to get a very distorted image if you try apply tournament filters to a villain with 20 hands.

On the other hand, when you have 1000 hands on a particular villain, it's appropriate to filter his stats based on position, stack size and number of hands. You will obviously have sufficient hands in each category to say something meaningful.

johncc
10-04-2011, 07:06 AM
quite agree, luckily i have over a million hands at mtt, but generally take not a lot of notice v a villain with less than say 100 hands

I like your last paragraph though