PDA

View Full Version : Notes not saving

Bilson
10-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi

I noticed for some time now, that quite often when i make a note on a player in the HM HUD and click save, the note isnt saved. I have to write the whole note again, which is pretty annoying. Any of you guys have the same problem?

Patvs
10-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.

Turn off User Account Control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/)

praetor
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm having the same problem when I review hands in the Replayer and take notes after sessions

I am Running Windows 7, have no Firewall, and run Avria

The referenced applications are all set to run as Admin

UAC is not running

Sarek
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Add exceptions to antivirus settings (to not interfere at all):
files:
holdemmanager.exe, hmhud.exe, hmimport.exe and dbcontrolpanel.exe
pokerclient
pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe in postgresql/bin folder

whole folders:
c:/hmarchive
postgresql/.../data

praetor
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
OK, I did that, but..

Why would anti virus interfere in that way? It doesnt interfere with any other functions. It makes no sense for that to be the fault, because it saves some notes sometimes, and other times it doesnt

Sarek
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
How to do - depends of your antivirus, please read it's help.
As an example, see this:
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/127/Using+Kaspersky+Internet+Security+2010%3F+
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems

Why - because antivirus/firewall can prevent writing to files.
But there are no viruses in Data folder (also in archive) - absolutelly. They can't be there.

praetor
10-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Why would it prevent note taking sometimes, not others? Why would it not interfere with other functions?

Patvs
10-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Most likely Windows is monitoring HoldemManager/PostgreSQL, and not all the changes you make to a note (or new notes you create) are properly being saved.

Turn ON the Windows Firewall.
Add holdemmanager.com, pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe and hmhud.exe to its exceptions list.

praetor
10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
having done all of the above apart from adding holdemmanger.com, couldn figure outhow to add a website rather than a program

, notes still wont save in the replayer

praetor
10-21-2011, 05:21 AM
bump for this thread, I still cant save most of my notes when reviewing hands through re player which is very annoying, as thats how I review my game and update notes on opponents

Can you please figure out why and fix it?

Note I have the same problem on 2 computers - desktop and laptop

Patvs
10-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Update Windows 7 to Service Pack 1
Run a manual Windows Update and install ALL updates, also non-critical .net framework updates.

Turn ON the Windows Firewall.
Add HoldemManager.exe to its exceptions list.

praetor
10-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I have SP1 and I'm always fully updated

I added the exceptions to Windows Firewall that you mentioned

//edit it seems to be saving the majority of my notes now actually, I'll keep testing to see if its not saving some

Thanks

praetor
10-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Its missing alot of notes I take again, I havent changed anything..

Patvs
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Which PostgreSQL version are you using?
Both the postgres user and your database are in UTF8 encoding?

Try creating a new database, reimport your handhistories.
Then reimport the notes.

DBizzle
11-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm having the same problem, I'm running windows 7 service pack 1, using the windows firewall, AF is avira, I'm running HEM and the various other files as ADMIN and I'm using postgreSQL 8.4

it doesnt happen everytime, I'd say about 20% or so, but it's resulted in my having to check each time if the note saved properly.

Also I recently bought a new computer at the beginning of Oct, and transfered over my database and notes, however the problem is the same.

DBizzle
11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
also it only seems to happen in the replayer, on regular tables ive never noticed the problem

Patvs
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin"from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.

Make sure your video card drivers and windows auto updates are fully updated. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (or later for w7) installed.

DBizzle
11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I've set those 4 files to run as admin
I've added the exceptions to the windows 7 firewall (only one I'm using)
and I just checked to see if my microsoft.net framework and video card drivers were up to date, I'm using microsoft.net framework 4.0

the notes are still not saving correctly

any other ideas?

DBizzle
11-19-2011, 03:51 PM
fingers crossed but i think i found the problem, i was experimenting today and found that after writing a note clicking forward to the next hand and then immediately clicking back the notes don't save, however waiting 5-10 seconds before clicking back to check if the notes saved properly worked, the notes saved every time.

could that be the problem?

StaticMoth
11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Also have this problem when writing notes in the HUD ... and also when I change the autorate icon/color of the player ... Sometimes it doesn't save after changing and I have to do it twice.

And please, not the standard "update/reinstall everything" advice.

All my software/Windows stuff is always up to date and I've uninstalled/reinstalled the .NET/HEM/Postgres tons of times and it's never solved any of my issues.

Thank you.

EDIT: Just noticed this is HM1 thread, my complaint is about HM2 though :o

DBizzle
11-26-2011, 01:45 PM
since my last post havent noticed any problems except from today, wrote a note in the replayer then moved on to the next hand which happened to be at the same table/had the same players, the note disappeared and I had to write it again. It saved the 2nd time. I guess this problem isnt exactly fixed. I've done everything suggested in this thread so that's clearly not the issue

tried to reproduce the problem but it doesnt always happen, guess its similar to the previous problem in that sense

Patvs
11-28-2011, 01:54 AM
if it saves when waiting for 5 seconds, most likely there is a delay from the moment you click save--> to where the notes in the database are actually updated.

This can be caused if the computer is extremely show, the hardisk is somewhat slow, or if another program is (monitoring and messing with HoldemManager and/or the PostgreSQL server. (like a firewall, antivirus program or when HM and SQL don't have full super user administrator privileges)

Try to:
For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily. Turn off User Account Control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/)

ant9985
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Still having this problem after a tech did all this stuff in teamviewer for me to fix another problem. It's really the most annoying bug ever. A year or two ago, i was told in email that you where going to fix it and let me know once it's done, i guess you gave up or something?

udbrky
09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
What is your antivirus and firewall?

1) Please close HM

2) Please open PGAdminIII

It is in the Start -> Postgres folder.

3) Enter your postgres password. The default password is typically postgrespass.

4) Open the databases.

5) Highlight your database.

6) Right click, click maintenance.

7) Run the vacuum and analyze and reindex functions.

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/88/Vacuum+Analyze+Database+

Please try again.

Does this happen in a new database?

*Try creating a new UTF DB - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create+%7B47%7D+Delete+Database
*Now import a small portion of your \HMArchive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB
*If the new DB seems to work properly, you will want to import the rest of your archives to the new DB, export/import the hands from the old DB to the new DB, and export/import any player notes and tourney summaries - and then delete the old DB.
*Make sure you export/backup everything before deleting the old DB - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/372/Reinstalling+on+a+new+PC+-+Backup+Tips

ant9985
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks Udbrky, I will try these things and reply back if still having the problem.
FYI I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013.