PDA

View Full Version : sharing a database across my network

DanieldayLewis
06-29-2009, 01:28 AM
I have 2 computers on my network. I would like to keep 1 datamining 24/7 and have the other computer to play on. I would like to access my database in real time from the computer that I am playing on but I don't think I need to import the hands I play because the datamining computer should see them and my playing computer would see that database.

I read FAQ #161 and did that but when i hit connect I get "A connection to postgreSQL could not be made". Both computers are able to run HEM and postgreSQL locally.

The datamining computer has windows XP and the main one i want to recieve the data has vista.

thanks.

PS My network is a home wireless network through a router.

netsrak
06-29-2009, 03:28 AM
1. Try to ping Computer 1 (the postgresql server) from Computer 2. The IP adress you use here is the IP adress to use for the database host.

2. Install pgadmin on Computer 2 (www.pgadmin.org) and try to connect to the database server on Computer 1 using the IP adress from Step 1. If this works HM will work with this database settings too.

DanieldayLewis
06-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Can you tell me how to ping computer 1? When I go to IPchicken.com it says both computers have identical IPs (I have cable interent), that is the IP I tried enter into HEM under "database management" for both computers.

Also the program link you sent me says it works for XP but doesn't mention vista. It installed OK, but I'm not sure if it works.

netsrak
06-29-2009, 05:52 AM
To be honest: if you don't know how to ping it is very difficult to setup a network.

For starting ping: Start->Run->CMD
In the upcomming command box enter ping <IP Address of your Computer 1><Enter>

pgadmin works under XP and Vista. Under Vista you must start it as administrator: right mouseclick, run as administrator (or sth. like that).

mfm000
06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Can you tell me how to ping computer 1? When I go to IPchicken.com it says both computers have identical IPs (I have cable interent), that is the IP I tried enter into HEM under "database management" for both computers.

Also the program link you sent me says it works for XP but doesn't mention vista. It installed OK, but I'm not sure if it works.

You need to use the internal (private network) IP addresses. Look at the status of the network connection on each computer. Typical is 192.168.x.x.
From the command line type "ping 192.168.x.y" where x.y is for the OTHER computer (running postgesql) on the network.

Use 192.168.x.y as the database IP address in HEM.

There's more, like getting past security on the other computer, getting connected to the right port, etc. You are going to have to learn a fair bit more if you want to set up a networked database connection.

Google will be your friend :-)

DanieldayLewis
06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
well, I've tried pinging my local IP and it didn't come back. I have a DHCP connection maybe that has something to do with it?

If anyone is willing to provide phone or AIM step by step support I will pay $30 an hr via poker site transfer. My AIM is guitman03.

fozzy71
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Please email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so you can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.