PDA

View Full Version : error during purge

chalminho10
06-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I got the following error when trying to purge observed hands:

"There was an error during the purge. Connection establishment timeout. Timeout value in connectionstring."

Do you have an idea what is wrong and what I can do to purge successfully?

Thank you.

fozzy71
06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
See if this helps - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=34

Can you connect to HM and Import? Are you on Vista or XP? What version of HM?

netsrak
06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Another hint:
- close HM
- check in task manager that no hm related prozesses are running (if so kill them)
- restart HM
- purge a smaller amount of hands.

chalminho10
06-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. FYI, I'm using Vista 64 with UAC disabled and the latest HM beta (1.09.9)

Fozzy, the link you mentioned provides information on what to do when you can't connect to postgres. However, I can cannect to postgres, open HM and import hands.

Netsrak, I have tried your suggestions twice but it didn't solve my problem.

Any other idea? Should I just start a new database (which I would like to avoid because I have a lot of hands)?

fozzy71
06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Can you try filtering the purge so it is attempting to purge fewer hands, and see if that works?

chalminho10
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I just tried filtering hands of the last 4 days and got the same error.

fozzy71
06-28-2009, 02:47 PM
The only other thing I can think to suggest, would be to start a new DB and see if the problem persists. You could probably separate/copy part of your archived HHs to a new folder, and then import those. So you don't have to import your entire archive, but just a protion instead. You just want to make sure you have played and observed hands in the chunk of HHs you import.

Otherwise, I think it would be quickest if you were to email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so you can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.

chalminho10
06-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok, I'll just start a new small DB and see how it goes. I won't waste Fabio's time with this and make him wait for hours until an error is displayed: it took my computer more than an hour to just calculate and then display an error when I tried to purge the last 4 days so there's definitely something wrong and unusual. I have a fast computer (overclocked quad core and fast HDD) and it usually takes 5-10 minutes to purge 500K+ hands so there's definitely something wrong with this particular DB. It's time for a fresh start.

Thank you for your help anyway ! :)

fozzy71
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Let me know how the new DB works out.

Have you ever performance tuned your PostgreSQL installation and turned off the logging? It won't necessarily help/cure the error you are getting while purging, but it should lighten the load on the DB and configure it specifically for your PC's specs. I hate the fact that logging is on by default, and it is configured for absolute minimal performance.

See this thread for details. (http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=61663&posted=1#post61663)

chalminho10
06-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I read the other thread and followed the instructions step by step but Vista just won't let me delete the log files. I'm running my computer as the administrator and UAC is disabled so I don't understand. I had to tweak the security settings of this folder to just access the files but there's just no way to delete them, even if I enable total control over the folder (including file modification) for the administrator in the folder security settings.

What if I uninstall/reinstall postgres and turn off the logging before I create a new DB? Will this accomplish what you intended? Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm not exactly a postgres expert and I don't understand how turning off the logging improves DB performance.

Thanks a lot for your help.

fozzy71
06-28-2009, 07:56 PM
You may need to stop the postgresql service before you can delete the logs. I didn't have to on my XP machine, but perhaps you do. The most important thing is turning off the logging, so they don't keep collecting and wasting space on your hard drive, but it won't stop you from creating a new DB or playing.

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Right-Click + Stop on PostgreSQL, and start it back up after (hopefully) successfully deleting the logs.

If you are still having problems, and would like some assistance, please email fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.

chalminho10
06-29-2009, 06:44 AM
I couldn't delete the logs even with the service stopped. However I just created a new small DB and had no problem to purge observed hands. I'll go on with this new DB, reimport and keep the logging turned off.

Thank you fozzy !