PDA

View Full Version : postgres service not starting automatically

Morgoth
09-18-2011, 09:49 PM
hi,
i got a new laptop using win7. after installing HEM with postgres combo installer i got an annoying issue.
it seems the postgres service is not starting automatically. I did choose that from the drop down list in windows services.
When i start HEM it says cant connect to 127.0.0.1 blabla. it also cant restart postgres.
But when i manually use "start server" from the postgres start menu everything works fine.
I run HEM as admin. UAC=off.

Do you know how to fix this?

Patvs
09-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Turn on the secondary Logon. The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.

Right click on Secondary Logon--> Properties. Change the Startup type to AUTOMATIC.

Morgoth
09-19-2011, 07:42 AM
sec logon is running now. but didnt solve the problem.
postgres service is still only starting manually.
i tried to change logon from using account ".\postgres" with a password i dont know to local system.
Didnt work either and i couldnt change it back (user not found).

So i backed up my DB and did a complete uninstall (with revo uninstaller and net user delete bla and everthing as mentioned in a lot of threads).
At the end all was the same.
when i reinstalled postgres it had a windows error something like pqlinit has to be closed. I choose close and it ended the installation (sucessfully?). I now remembered I had that same error when i installed a few days ago ;)
Is it possible that i have on of the win7 system that dont work with postgres 8.4? or is this a different issue.
I mean HEM and postgres seem to work if I just start the service manually. I also could restore my DB (it was just renamed, saying holdemmanger allready exists, eve though i clicked overwrite in the options).

EDIT:
just tried installing without firewall

installer window:
"extract PsqlInit.exe ... 100%"

error msg:
"PsqlInit.exe doesntwork any more
-look online
-close program"

netsrak
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Please download and install the latest Postgresql 9.x release from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and install it to a different port like 5433. Does this work better?
BTW: The default postgresql password is postgrespass

Morgoth
09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
hey thx for the answer.
I tried the 9.1 and 8.4 installer from the postgres site.
Both install without an error but the service is still not starting automatically.

Sarek
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Run Postgres installer "as admin"
And make sure windows user is named in English and "in one word"

Morgoth
09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
did run installer as admin.
my win user is one word. my computer name is like abc-xyz
when i start the services windows pretty early after reboot i see then the status of postgres service is being startet. that doesntchange for at least 15minutes.
so it seems it cant start it. when i close the services window and reopen it later the status is empty.
do i need to set any postgres startfiles to run as admin too?

just to be clear... when i start it manually or use "start server" from the start menu everythingworks just fine.

netsrak
09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Is it a 64bit windows 7?
Are you using any 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware, adaware, tuning or registry cleaning programs? And if yes which ones?

Are you from germany? Because i had the same for a german user so it may be somehow caused by a german windows installation.