PDA

View Full Version : 24 tabling CRAWLS now after upgrading from XP to Win 7

fooz
09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I upgraded because Table Ninja was not able to consistently put in the correct default bets under Win XP.

...but now once I get lots of tables open on Stars, the CPU spikes and the OS crawls. I've even tried to running a fresh, empty DB. Once I shut down the HUD & hand-import it's super fast again.

Also, I've tried most of the performance tweaks from the stickie in this forum.

Advice?

thanks!
fooz

Patvs
09-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Update to: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate_1.12.03.exe

Which Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.

Make sure your video card drivers and windows auto updates are fully updated. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (or later for w7) installed.

fooz
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I have Comodo. I'll disable it and try these. If that doesn't work, then I'll uninstall.
Also, installing .NET Framework 4 right now (the latest). Guessing that's ok.

Thanks Pat.

Patvs
09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Comodo is the devil. Instead of "disabling" it, I would just uninstall it completely and use Windows Firewall instead.

fooz
09-16-2011, 08:15 PM
- uninstalled all of comodo
- disabled windows firewall
- upgraded to HEM 1.12.03
- downloaded .NET 4.x
- updated video card to latest drivers
- windows 7 os did it latest updates this morning

- also reverted to basic, default HUD
- and stopped the importer

Still no luck. Testing w/only 17 tables...

CPU 1 usage is 90-100%.
CPU 2 usage is 50-60%.
Computer lags. I click a button, and it takes 500 ms before the next window pops up.

Once I kill table manager and the HUD, both CPUs drop under 20% and everything's fast again.

I have an Intel Pentium D, dual core, 3.19 GHz w/4 GB ram running 64-bit Win 7. Vid: Nvidia Geforce GTX 275. HD is a 10k rpm Velociraptor 150 GB drive running latest HEM w/PostgreSQL 8.4.

I was able to manage fine on XP. Is win 7 actually SLOWER? I wouldn't think so.

Am I missing a major setting in HEM for the HUD? What are the most significant Win 7 tweaks to make?

Patvs
09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Turn ON the Windows Firewall, and add exceptions for holdemmanager.exe, and hmhud.exe.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html
do #5, and go to hud options--> player preferences--> appearance tab--> and turn the opacity slider to the right.

In Windows Task Manager when the CPU is using 90%, which program is responsible for most of that 90%?
hmhud.exe, holdemmanager.exe, or another program?

fooz
09-16-2011, 09:20 PM
HMHud.exe *32 is responsible.

Why does it have "*32" ?

Had already done #5. Trying the other stuff...

fooz
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Aha! I figured something out. It seems to be correlated with the size of the tablewindow. I was playing with the table @ 1054 pixels wide and stacked. When I dropped the table to "default" size or the minimum size, the CPU SIGNFICANTLY dropped and the lag disappeared.

Why would this be? As far as I can tell, HMHud.exe is the culprit. Why would table size matter? Is it something to do with the font creation? This was not an issue on XP.

Ideally, I'd really like to increase the size of the window, to maximize real estate for stats.

Patvs
09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
*32 = 32 bit

Table size matters if HoldemManager has difficulty rescaling the HUD panels (making them bigger because the table is bigger).

Try to go to hud options--> player preferences--> appearance tab--> turn off scale font (if the HUD then becomes too small for you, select a bigger default font size at the appearance tab)

And turn off the Windows AERO interface: right click on the Windows task bar--> properties--> turn off "use aero peek to preview the desktop".

fooz
09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
HUD font scaling was already off. Still don't quite get why the HUD would care about table size, if scaling's off.

Will try your other suggestion, will also turn off window title bar transparency, and any other tweaks I can find.

This should be doable with the default size at least.

Thanks Pat!

Sarek
09-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Font scalling eats system resources. As well as Aero.
Try to set Windows to simpliest theme - "classic" (without transparencies, color gradients etc) - as in win98.
Disable Aero on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/)
And remove wallpaper, left monocolor desktop

fooz
09-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Again scaling has been off the whole time.

Now my HUD is crashing! I think (just like me) my HEM is sick. Is there some log I can send you guys?

* I don't see any fresh logs. Can I turn on more verbose logging some how? The crash is happening every time.
I guess this is now a bug. So feel free to move this post to the proper forum.

Patvs
09-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Try running the full installer: full installer @ http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Holdem_Manager_Setup.exe
And install it to a different folder.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe, even if the firewall is turned off.

fooz
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I followed your suggestion. I reinstalled HEM using the link provided to a new directory.
- Everything ran fine for a while. ...so I loaded 1 million hands overnight.
- Everything ran fine playing on the default HUD at a low stakes.
- I loaded 24 tables of 100NL (which the 1M hands are for) and loaded my custom HUD and stacked a large (1100 pix wide table). CPU started spiking as before.
- I switched to the default HUD and resized tables to 800 pixels wide.
. CPU no longer spiked, but HUD started crashing or freezing.

Suggestions?

** I'd like to do a THOROUGH uninstall of HEM and PostgreSQL. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a special uninstaller for PostgreSQL?

thanks

fooz
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I followed the instructions in this FAQ on crashing:

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/363/Crashing+Problems+With+The+Hud+Or+Holdem+Manager

...and this "Rule out corrupt config files as the problem" fixed my problem!

not sure what was corrupt about the previous. If I do or it happens again, I'll report back.

THanks guys!