PDA

View Full Version : Major difficulties with HEM

kk405
06-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I posted this on 2+2 and was asked to post it here as well...

First, expressing my bit of frustration with HEM and PT at the same time. The software is FAR too complicated to install, configure and use, and I am a 20+ veteran of the computer world. Secondly, the user manual and FAQ and lots of other so-called help pages that are written and designed to help, are simply written by a bunch of techies who seem to have decided to skip many steps in between their solutions. The fact of the matter is that once anyone installs HEM, the software should AUTOMATICALLY configure itself for let’s say the top 10 poker sites and begin importing ALL hand histories that a user MAY have on his/her PC, and the database should be usable once all this data is imported. This is a very simple and basic task that HEM should do right out of the box.

Now, I need help with my issue, and hope someone can post a solution, but as HEM people read this as well, I am hoping they realize that they can do a lot more to make their software significantly more user friendly right out of the box.

I installed both HEM and the PostgreSQL 8.3 on a Vista-base PC. After tinkering around with the software trying to figure out how to import the data (do I use Import File(s), or Import From Folder, or Start Auto Import? None of which worked). So finally I went to Configure Auto Import Folders. First step was to import Poker Stars data. My PS client is configured to save the hand-history for the past 365 days. Hem imported all the data and I was beginning to see some progress. Then I decided to import my Full Tilt data. I once again went to Options>Configure Auto Import Folders, picked the FT hand-history folder, and in the Archive Folder, I left it as it was, which is C:\HMarchive. After what seemed like a successful operation, I tried to find my stats and hand histories by going into the ‘Cash Games’ tab, but couldn’t find any of my hands for Full Tilt, while Stars HH were still visible.

After some searches, I came across ‘How to configure HEM for FTP Client’ and although saw that in the pictures shown, it says to type : C:\HMarchive for the Archive Folder, in another place it says to use a DIFFERENT archive folder for each poker client??? So, after reading that, I created C:\HMarchive (FTP) and used that folder to archive my FTP data.

Again, no FTP results. So, I posted a question on 2+2 to see how I can delete the database and start over, and following that instruction, I created a database called Holdem Manager (with a space) as opposed to the original one called HoldemManager, and then tried to re-import all the data from Stars and FTP into HEM, but this time it wouldn’t import anything and it sees like all the data is gone.

Then I went into the hand history folders for both FTP and Poker Stars, and realized that both folders are now empty. Apparently when HEM uses your hand history in those respective folders, it doesn’t simply copy them or read them, it MOVES them somewhere else. This is another mistake that can end up being very costly to players., as they can easily lose all their HH. So, I searched around and realized that in the c:\Holdem Manager folder there are a bunch of folders now, organized by year (2008 and 2009) and each has subfolders, and there is a lot of text files in each which after opening realized are the HH files. Now, I don’t know what to do with these files, how to put them back in my Stars and FTP HH folders and or how to import them back into the HEM…

Yup, long post, but I am in the middle of my 15-day trial period and as frustrated as I have been, I am not sure if it’s worth it to fix the problems (if the problems are fixable) and if I would buy the software at all…

fozzy71
06-21-2009, 06:44 AM
I forgot to ask what version of HEM you are running?

X-Posting the replies from the HEM thread on 2p2.

First off I apologize for the troubles you are having, but please do make a new thread on the HEM forums, and I will copy these answers over there. We will get you up and running, but it may require a bit of back and forth.

Did you click the 'Change' button that is to the left of the drop down arrow and the to the right of your username (PS), and search for your FTP name?

I only use one archive folder, but I don't know that I have read the manual (or if I did it was very long ago).

Did you set the new database as the default? If you did, then you probably want to set your original DB as the default.

You want them moved from the stars/ftp directory so that HEM doesn't have to parse all those (duplicate) HHs, every 5 seconds during the auto-import, that it did previously. You should backup your \HMArchive folder(s) to a removable media or separate hard-drive. Then if you ever get a new computer, need to reinstall HEM/SQL, or worse yet have your PC just up and puke on you, it will be easy to rebuild.

I have done all the stuff above, and now it only has the data for the last few hours of my play and not the last 12 months...but I can still see those HH text files in the C:\HMarchive folder...

fozzy71
06-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Please send an email to fabio@holdemmanager.net to schedule a TeamViewer session.

kk405
06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Please send an email to fabio@holdemmanager.net to schedule a TeamViewer session.

Thank you...I just sent an e-mail...also, I am running 1.08.04 :)

fozzy71
06-21-2009, 11:16 AM
OK, fabio will get you taken care of. Once he get's you squared away, if you have any more questions this is the place to ask. It usually doesn't take one of us very long to reply, and we have a new support person starting on Monday also.

kk405
06-21-2009, 12:18 PM
OK...this is really insane and not even funny... the quick response from you guys, and the help from fabio (who fixed my problem in a jiffy) is beyond words... even if I end up not using HEM (which I will), I am going to buy it just to donate money to an unbelievably awesome and quick response and fix by all of you at HEM...thanks a million :)