PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible to combine databases this way??

4entourage
06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Currently I run hem on a laptop and a desktop. I format my laptop a lot. When I have to restore my HEM database it takes almost 2 days.

Would copying my
"C:\Program Files\ RVG Software folder and pasting it onto the laptop to the same thing as restoring a database (and transfer over my hand history/replayer -- and hud configs) and still work properly???

fabio
06-18-2009, 11:16 PM
your database is stored in the PostgreSQL folder, but you cant just copy that over, backup&restore is the best solution: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=12

4entourage
06-20-2009, 02:20 PM
your database is stored in the PostgreSQL folder, but you cant just copy that over, backup&restore is the best solution: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=12

But just copying the SQL folder (About 7 gigs) and over-writing on the other PC would work too?

fabio
06-20-2009, 03:03 PM
you have to make sure that both computers are running the same postgres version and you have to stop the PostgreSQL service before you copy or overwirte the existing "data" folder which contains the database

4entourage
06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I guess the main reason I ask is this.

I track 25c/50c and 50c/1 on one pc
I track 1/2 and 2/4 on another pc.

Both have 20,000 player DB's that I have updated back and forth left and right.
Now I periodically add the new hands to the opposite PC's to keep databases up-to-date. Is there a way to only update database changes and not the same hands that are already there? I.E. cut the time to update them.

(Currently I have to have 2 databases on each pc)
Main DB = 20,000 people
NewHands - new accumulated hands.

Pc 2 = same setup
Then I sent the new hands to the opposite PC's Main DB one at a time-- is there an easier way to do this? Not have 2 db's---jsut update the Databases changes only?? I try to keep both PC's with all the same info/stats. Hope this is clear..

LostCause
06-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Have you considered purchasing a USB hard drive?

They are relatively inexpensive and come in various sizes, I have a 1 Terrabyte drive and it cost $112 with free shipping.

It came pre-formatted and ready to use with Windows, I can use it on either my laptop or pc.

You can either config postgres to use the USB drive for storing your database or do what I have done
and install postgres on the USB drive.

The latter is a little tricky as you need to install postgres from each system (ie: the laptop and pc), but it was fairly simple.

I first installed postgres on the PC then deleted the entire install folder and installed it on the laptop.
This way both systems have it installed as a service.

4entourage
06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Have you considered purchasing a USB hard drive?

They are relatively inexpensive and come in various sizes, I have a 1 Terrabyte drive and it cost $112 with free shipping.

It came pre-formatted and ready to use with Windows, I can use it on either my laptop or pc.

You can either config postgres to use the USB drive for storing your database or do what I have done
and install postgres on the USB drive.

The latter is a little tricky as you need to install postgres from each system (ie: the laptop and pc), but it was fairly simple.

I first installed postgres on the PC then deleted the entire install folder and installed it on the laptop.
This way both systems have it installed as a service.

Having the database on both PC's isnt the problem. The problem is wanting to update both pc's with the newer accumulated hands WITHOUT having to update the whole database. I only want to update the changes.

Again--- I play on 2 pc's -- track different limits on both...and every week update each PC with the other pc's newer stats( I add the 25c/50c and 50c/1$ stats to the 1/2 and 2/4 pc. Then I swap the 1/2 and 2/4 to the 25c/50c and 50c/1$ pc.

I guess as I am seeing it...
I have to track new hands on a new database - then export hands. Load up main database. Import hands. Then bring them to the other PC and do it again since I can't just update the changes that have occured