PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have double my database???

sluggger5x
08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I recently got a new laptop and wanted to move HEM to it. I did a backup of my old db and moved it to my new laptop and restored it in Postgres. After it was done, I found I had my database completely, but I had double of each hand history from my old database! How can I get rid of all the duplicates??

sluggger5x
08-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I also tried to vacuum the database thinking that would work, but HM would not allow me and said I had to do it manually in postgres admin.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/lostslug/duplicatedatabase.jpg

morny
08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Can you make sure you have the latest version http://www.rvgsoftware.com/hm/hmupdate1.06.01u.exe and then restore the database again as there was an update that dealt with duplicate hands lately

sluggger5x
08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I just downloaded the 1.06.01 last night before I did the restore. Can I just try to run a restore again? Do you think the backup file has double or is it just the restore that has issues?

morny
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes but was it version U, theres been 20+ releases since 1.06 was released and one of the last few fixed problems with duplicate hands so if you dont have U youll probably just keep getting this problem.

Delete the old database assuming you still have the backup and then do the restore again. Heres details on deleting it. http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=21

Also youll probably need to export any hands since you made the new database aswell

sluggger5x
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Worked like a charm. Thanks morny.

However, I am unable to activate the new HEM to the full version. I emailed support and I was told I just need to:

"Hi, please choose “2 ANY” if you chose “1 ANY” on the first pc (or vice versa) when you get to the activation screen. It will work on 2 pc’s

Thanks,
Roy"

I did choose "2 any" but I get an error message that tells me to contact support.

morny
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
When you get that error message copy and paste it in the email and tell Roy at support@holdemmanager.net

mohow
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm getting the same problem as poster. I wanted to back up my database so I followed the instructions as per the faqs. I didn't realize that restoring my database meant I would get duplicates of all my hands. Now I'm trying to restore to a different database but when I restore nothing to the 2nd database nothing happens. Do I need to restore to a blank database? I tried to restore to a database that had some observed hands on it.

I tried updating to 1.06.03h and i still get the duplicates

morny
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Just export the hand histories (http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=12 only follow the 1st step dont do the backup and restore) and then reimport them into a new database http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and all should be fine.

mohow
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I created a new database and then used my backup to restore all hands to the new database. Nothing seems to be missing. But I went to play some hands at Stars and it wasn't importing some hands maybe 1/7th. Is this a separate problem? Perhaps with 1.06.03h?

mohow
10-28-2008, 09:50 PM
After further investigation I found out I played 81 hands of which only 69 shows up in my reports. I requested my HHs from stars and attempted to important them manually from the text files. To my surprise it said all the hands were duplicate hands except for one. It seems like a filtering problem but I was checked and double checked and have no filters on. Where do I go from here?

morny
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
You see there is problems with that database thats showing doubles, when you backup and restored the database its still the same database. You need to ONLY follow the instructions for exporting the HH's (DO NOT BACKUP AND/OR RESTORE)

When the HH are exported then create a new database and the use the import from folder to manually reimport the HH's

What your doing is the equivilant of taking out a good engine out of car with no wheels and putting into another car with no wheels, you need to take the engine out and put it in a new car/database with wheels

mohow
10-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Hmmm...

I'm not sure I was clear. I have made a new database that is fine. It has my entire history of play and no duplicates. So the 1st problem is solved.
But there is a new problem.

On hands that I tried to import from stars today there seems to be some missing. Are you saying this is related to my previous backup and restore shennanagins eventhough I'm working with an entirely new database?

morny
10-29-2008, 08:17 AM
No, but you said in the previous post after my answer that you created a new database and then restored the old database, this might cause a problem. But it sounds like you created a new database and imported the hands which is the correct way so that should be fine.

Can you upload the HH that wont import to www.yousendit.com and then PM me the link and ill check them out on my system

Thanks
Morny

mohow
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok its all figured out. Thanks for your help Morny. I was in fact putting a good engine in a car with no wheels. I didn't understand what you meant but after working on it some more that analogy make sense.

Here is how I got fouled up which may help to keep others from going down the same path:

*Every month I try to backup all important data on my computer.
*In trying to backup my HEM database I found the FAQ about backup and restore.
*Not really understanding what "restore" meant I followed the FAQ instructions to the letter.
*Then I had a database with all duplicate hands.
*So I made a new database and restored again to find out that this somehow messes up new imports.
*Finally I figured out what Morny meant by his car analogy and simply imported overnight an export of my original database which solved the problem.

My advice would be to amend the FAQ to keep people from running into the same problem I did. I'm beginning to understand the difference between an import and a restore which has made all the difference.

Thanks again for the support,
mo