PDA

View Full Version : i seem to be having lots of trouble purging, and then vacuuming my db.

helppls!
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
i seem to be having lots of trouble purging, and then vacuuming my db.

i deleted many millions of hands from my db and got the popup stating that to reclaim space i had to vacuum. however i have followed the vacuum instructions very carefully and each time i hit ok it takes only a few seconds before spitting a big output out. it isn't allowing me to copy paste the output. it begins: total free space (inc removable row versions) is 8016 bytes. o pages are or will become empty, inc 0 at the end of table. 1 pages containing 8016 bytes are potential move destinations. etc.

any help greatly appreciated i very much need to reclaim space on my hd.

thanks

olliepower
09-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi,

How much free space is on your HD right now? What are the specifications (CPU, Ram OS) of your computer? Can you take a screenshot of the error and post it?

helppls!
09-09-2011, 01:47 AM
haha there is currently less than 1% free space on my computer. could that be the problem? ill try to get the other stuff you asked for. where can i find the specifications?

netsrak
09-09-2011, 04:20 AM
1% free space is not enough - i'm surprised that any program on your computer is still starting.
The specs are the technical data of your system - you should see them in the control panel -> system or in the description / order of your computer

helppls!
09-11-2011, 01:32 AM
thanks for the helpful reply. any idea how much free space is needed to successfully vacuum my db? i currently have 5% free space and it doesnt seem to work. im using xp with 2.00gb of ram

Sarek
09-11-2011, 04:47 AM
When you do vacuum, it temporary requires allmost the same amount of free disk space as your DB. Even more.

helppls!
09-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I should have started purging and vacuuming much, much earlier!! one last question: where do i click to find out the size of the db i want to vacuum? thanks again

olliepower
09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
1) Open PGAdmin III. It should be in your start menu > postgres x.x > pgadmin II (the x.x will be the version number).

2) double click postgreSQL (local host: 5432)

3) Enter your postgres password. By default it is postgrespass.

4)The DB you are interested in will be listed underneath the icon you clicked.

5) Write down your OID#

6) navigate to \postgresql\8.4\data\base (the 8.4 may be different depending on your version number)

7) find the folder that matches your OID#

8) right click it > properties