PDA

View Full Version : Old hard drive moved to new computer?

blitztwn36
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

So my graphics card in my old computer stopped working (it was an older computer) - so I decided to build a new one. Anyway, I bought a new main hard drive and installed Windows 7 RC1 on it and threw my hard drive from my old machine into the new computer (left it untouched, so all software still on it). My question is, am I able to import any of my old database information from HEM from my old hard drive to my new one? I haven't installed HEM or Postgres yet, as I wasn't sure if I could mess anything up.

From my understanding, the only thing I could do is open HEM and export hands to text files and then copy those over, but since that would require me to replace my old graphics card in my old system, that's probably not possible. I also am not too hot on booting up my new computer with only my old hard drive plugged in and loading up Windows XP (I've read that unpredictable things can happen - correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it.

fabio
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
you can try to copy over the "data" folder of your PostgreSQL installation and continue to use it on the new computer by copying it into the correct path (C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\) and unticking "initialize database cluster" while installing postgres on the new machine

blitztwn36
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
OK - I will try that when I get home today from work. Any risk in installing version 8.3 when my old DB was 8.2? Or should I first install 8.2 on my machine and copy over the data, get it running, then upgrade to 8.3?

fabio
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
install 8.2 on your new machine then, you cant use 8.3 with a 8.2 database

blitztwn36
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
OK - should I ever upgrade to 8.3 once the migration is complete, or since my database was created with 8.2, it stays 8.2? (wasn't sure if there were any upgraded performance/features with 8.3 there were needed).

Thanks for all fo the help too.

fabio
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
yes, you have to stay with 8.2

blitztwn36
06-12-2009, 03:04 PM
worked like a charm - thanks for all of your help