PDA

View Full Version : can't restore DB after backing up with HM1

dieguito06
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Hy

I have HM1 and HM2. I wanted to set up my computer so i made a backup for my two databases. but i made the backup with HM1 'backup and restore' (for both DBs from HM1 and HM2) which file I cannot restore in HM2. Then I formated my hard drive to install the OS.
I never use the HMarchive for importing hands again instead i use the backupfiles (I always delete the HMarchive). But now I have only the backup file for HM1 with the HM2DB backup on it which i cannot restore in HM2. I can restore this DB in HM1 but then i cant open HM1 afterwards. The DB then is in PostgreSQL though (with about the right amout of hands in it) This DB from HM2 has only a few hands (~500 just for HM2testing purposes) but i need them nonetheless.

I also tried backing up this DB manually from postgreSQL and restored it again. But no way I can import it to HM2.
My problem is: I have the needed DB in postgreSQL but Im somehow not able to restore it.
My question is: can I restore the hands from the DB in postgreSQL8.4 manually? and if so, how?

thanks

Sarek
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Have you tried direct import of HM1 db in HM2? no restoring backup - simple import

dieguito06
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
yes. thats what i wanted to do at first. I backed up in HM1 and the backupfile ends on .hembk; but it seems that HM2 cannot work with that file. at least it didnt find that file when i search in the folder where its hidden. the with postrgeSQL restored backup file ends with .backup which also cant be found when trying to import.

And when i just go in 'Import' there is only my main (default) DB to be ready for import for HM2;

This problem might not have been occured when i simply had backed up with HM2. But as i backed up my HM1 DB for 'transport' i was able to choose the DB which i had created for HM2

Patvs
08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
The import of a HM1 database in HM2 requires the existence of a HM1 active database.
It won't import a .backup / .hembak.
It will only look for a current HM1 database, and it can convert it to a HM2 database when it detects one.

I can restore this DB in HM1 but then i cant open HM1 afterwards.

Which error do you get? Did you import the backup in a completely empty new HM1 database?
The backup was also created in SQL 8.4? (the same version as you're using now.. since 8.3 vs 8.4 vs 9.0 are not compatible with each other) and SQL is installed to its default install folder: C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL ?

--

Best solution:
Reimport the original handhistories from your archive folder.
NEVER DELETE YOUR ARCHIVE FOLDER. It's crucial you save the handhistories in their original formatting.
Did you play all of your hands on PartyPoker + Full Tilt Poker + PokerStars?
If you did, email their support and request the handhistories for every hand you've ever played, so you'll have a proper backup of the original handhistories.

dieguito06
09-01-2011, 06:44 AM
you have to know i am working here within my technical abilities which are limited. And there might be language barriers as well. when in HM1 'backup & restore' I tried to restore the HM2 database which I was able to backup in HM1 as well. the restoration went well but when i restarted HM1, a DB update was necessary which i did.

Then the error orrured: error: 42P01: relation "playerhandscashkeycolums" does not exist. ...

from then on I was not able to restart HM1 up to the moment I erased the restored DB in PostgreSQL. maybe you already answerd that in your first sentence but I am not so sure.

I use postgreSQL 8.4 for everything and installed it in the default order.

Your advise make sense and i will avoid deleting my archive from now on. but is there any chance i can restore the HM2 DB which i backed up with HM1 and then deleted all HHs (which is still to see in postgeSQL)

Patvs
09-01-2011, 09:26 AM
The HM1 backup & restore utility shouldn't be used to backup a HM2 database. It will not be able to successfully restore it.
Unlike pgadminIII which is capable of that: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup%26RestoreDatabase

The 42P01: relation "playerhandscashkeycolums" error is a sign of a corrupt database, where a main database index is missing.

On which site did you play all your hands?

dieguito06
09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
yeah thats what i figured. I wasnt even able to restore it in pgadmin with which i played around sometime; ill try it agaion though. It is not that big of a deal since its just a few hundred hands on micro limit on pokerstars just to test HM2. i should have considered that more carefully before setting up the computer. i do that like every 2 or 3 month so up to now i backed up and just restored the DB wich worked perfectly for me. but thats of course different from HM1 to HM2. I try to mmove over to HM2 more and more and now as soon as i have all my hands on HM2 - which causes some trouble btw - ill just use HM1 for testing purposes and comparison. Right now HM2 seems stable enough my main problem is that the sessions are not the same from time to time. But i already seem to like HM2 more esp. when moving back to HM1.

Ill try it one more time in PostgreSQL. My main network i play on recently is BossMedia and occasionally Pokerstars.
From now on ill just keep my HMarchive and will not delete it. I just never had trouble and it was easier for me just to back up and restore every time. THat also was the easiest way to snyc it with my Notebook.
Thanks for the help.

olliepower
09-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Please let us know if we can do anything else.