PDA

View Full Version : Postgres Install

PokerKing
08-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi, I just uninstall postgre and holdemmanager to erase all historic of it. But when I try to reinstall postgres and holdem manager it's telling me: postgresql-8.4 service is already use or something like that. I erased all the files for postgres and unistall it from windows

Please help

Patvs
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Did you delete C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/data completely?

It's possible the installer detects the postgres user.
You can delete the user by:

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

PokerKing
08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
I deleted the whole postgreSQL data, and when I enter the net user postgres /delete in the CMD it's saying that the user is not valid... :(

Patvs
08-31-2011, 12:55 AM
But when you reinstall it, it will still detect the port / old install folder?

You have to options, either just install it, then manually change the location: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/MoveDatabaseToAnotherHardDriveOrPartition

Or edit your computer's registry and manually delete all the links to the old install folder (or uninstall it using Revo FREE) which is able to delete the registry keys.

PokerKing
08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
But when I install the combo, everything is find until the end of the download it say: postgresql-8.4 service is already used
But uninstall and deleted ALL the postgres stuff, I also deleted the profile...

Sarek
08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
4) UAC = OFF
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows)
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /del
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.