PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to protect my PC?

johnjohn0112
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, like many of you, I have vista and it blows. I am having the connection issues and its because of my virus protection. I have to un install my Norton and go with something else. I was browsing around and saw that some people use AVG and its free. Does anyone know if the free version is all I need to protect my pc? Or should I get the complete version for $55 that has the firewal and all the extra stuff? Im pretty stupid when it comes to computers and don't know what to do. At this point, its worth the $55 dollars to be done with all the headaches and not have to worry about connection issues anymore. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

morny
06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
My setup is just AVG and Zonealarm both are free and works well for me and are pretty much take care of themselves.

johnjohn0112
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Why do you use both? Do you use AVG for anti-virus and zone alarm for the firewall? I'm definately going to check these out now. Thanks

stretch00
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Here's a link to a good thread and be sure to DISREGARD ANYTHING BLANKS had to say! Which antivirus can I use (http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11433)

johnjohn0112
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Stretch, in one of your posts you listed several things you use. Is it necessary to use all of them? or is the AVG and the firewall sufficient? Sorry for the 50 Questions, I've always just used Norton that came with everything you need.

stretch00
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Stretch, in one of your posts you listed several things you use. Is it necessary to use all of them? or is the AVG and the firewall sufficient? Sorry for the 50 Questions, I've always just used Norton that came with everything you need.
It's not a requirement,but as you said you had Norton,which I am assuming was the security suite.The software I listed is basicly a freeware do it yourself security suite.Each 1 does it's own thing and some like AVG free will not protect from rootkit adware.
The way I understand it these days with virus/spyware is that there really should only be 2 classifications of it,which really should be; VIRUS & MALWARE.A virus is something that will get into your OS and potentially infect the whole OS rendering it useless if not contained.To combat that your anti virus software uses a signature based data base of KNOWN virusus to stop them.
Malware is a much broarder term of spyware. Malware can be anything from a simple cookie that all web sites place on your computer for a host of reasons,from remembering your sign in too tracking what you view and everything in between,these are sometimes called PUW/PAW;pontentialy unwanted/potential ad-ware.These are also a great tool for hackers to gain a foot hold in your system.These are usualy NOT in a database that will be recognised by any AV software.This is where ROOT KITS come from,the get in and wait hence the term TROJAN.So having a good root kit scanner is also a great idea.
Most of the security experts will tell you that in todays evolving world of hackers/key loggers/spyware writing/trojan horse jockying/malware/ad-ware slinging etc,etc..scumbags.That a multi layerd security system is best.
Now my setup works,like I said I only surf in the worst of the worst.If I was to go bare bones it would be AVG,SpyDr.
AVG is better than a good AV software,no other FREE AV offers REALTIME protection,along with signature protection,that I'm aware of.Some reviews give a 8-9/10 and some a little less but in all my research,it seems to get a slightly lower than stellar score mainly because of slower scans,possible because it is an ANIMAL.I dont care what anyone else says.I KnOW WHERE I HANG OUT! And it works GREAT with HM!
SpyDr another monster this thing catches everything.The first time you run this you may be supprised whats been sitting on you system.I like this over MalwareBytes simply because I can scheduale it to run daily,and it did catch a trojan and quarantined it while MalwareBytes said nothing after a scan! And MBAM always get top rated.lol
I used only those 2 for a long time and never had a problem,but if RAM is not a problem I would suggest them all. The only time I ever notice a lagg in my system is during a FULL system scan w/AVG,it does use gas but it's well worth it!
I hope this helps you and anyone else who reads it,let me know what you did,JOHNJOHN. PM me
AVG = antivirus
SpyDr = malware/root kit scanner (this you can scheduale)
*optional*MalwareBytes = malware/root kit scanner (NO scheduale)
Firewall+ = good firewall,block incoming & outgoing connections if you set it correct from the start.And anything is better than Windows Defender
Virus Total uploader = this is a must have for any one who down loads anything!

Gabethebabe
06-09-2009, 12:56 AM
My setup is just AVG and Zonealarm both are free and works well for me and are pretty much take care of themselves.
ZoneAlarm Free is outdated/bad. Online Armor and Comodo are much better.

I wrote a thread on 2+2. Maybe check that out.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/28/internet-poker/view-i-am-paranoid-you-should-too-501882/

point 9 links you to a really good thread suggesting about viruses and such.

johnjohn0112
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. For anyone that may have the same issues i did, I went with AVG for the AV, Comodo for the firewall, SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes for spyware/malware, and Virus Total uploader. HEM seems to be working great with this set up. All the recommendations seemed really good, just couldnt use some of them because they do not support 64 bit vista. (PCTools) . It was a long and shitty process but its over and I don't have to worry anymore. Thanks again to everyone that helped.

stretch00
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I think you have a great set up there,just be a little mindful of your system performance overall,and if you have installed all those programs to auto run on start up,some really not need be,such as just scanning programs.You can change that with no problems.Some AV/MW programs do not play well together,such as ThreatFire/AVG,and you may need to adjust.:cool: