PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to PostgreSQL

SuperSized
08-28-2011, 06:00 AM
I was messing around with PeerGuard, OpenVPN and TOR yesterday and I've somehow broken postgreSQL. I can't connect to the server. I have checked my connections to make sure I'm not going through a proxy. It is also not a Firewall problem or an Antivirus issue. I also uninstalled all of the above programs.

What am I missing?

netsrak
08-28-2011, 06:31 AM
- Look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
- Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
- Check our FAQ:
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+

The main question is: is the postgresql service running - if yes can you connect via pgadmin?
if no - there should be some log files in the postgresql folders.

SuperSized
08-28-2011, 06:56 AM
I did try pgadmin and couldn't connect. I solved this when I remembered that I altered the shared buffer in the config file from 2mb to 1024mb. I am reasonably certain that HM worked immediately after I altered this parameter, so i'm not sure why it can't connect today. Altering the number back to 2mb allows the service to start again.

netsrak
08-28-2011, 10:20 AM
You should probably try to increase the value in smaller steps and test how it works.