PDA

View Full Version : database restore issues

rjg6684
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi,
I recently had to reformat my hard drive after downloading the latest HEM led to a series of random BSOD error messages (not sure if there was direct causation or mere coincidence). I backed up my database before reformatting, and also extracted as many hands as the software would let me back out to text file format, and had a computer tech come around and reinstall windows. Upon reinstalling HEM and trying to restore my old database (c 530,000 hands), the computer tech was unable to get past a postgres screen demanding a password. Googled ways to reset forgotten passwords etc were tried without success, and as of right now, midway through importing the text file HHs I was able to get, my best estimate is I'm going to end up having lost about 200,000 hands. Any ideas as to how to break through the postgres password issue?

Regards,
Richard

sideshow
08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi,

1)Go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data, move the pg_hba file to your Desktop and open it with notepad.
2)Scroll to the bottom and change all md5 to trust. Save and close the file.
3)Move the file back to the data folder.
4)Restart the PostgreSQL service: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

HM will accept any password now.

Thanks

rjg6684
08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Hi,
Thanks, that seems to have gotten me a little further, now when trying to access the db via pgadmin i get error msg "Error connecting to the server: server does not support SSL, but SSL was required." Any ideas?

Patvs
08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

On which pokersite did you play most of your 530k hands?

rjg6684
08-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks, deleting the postmaster file allowed me to access postgres and restore my database, however this seems to have led in turn to a couple of new bugs :|. Firstly, upon opening HEM I get a screen about optimising by going through my player db, and then a screen about updating my aliases for quicker scans in the future. Each of these come up every time I open HEM despite presumably being one-time things. Also, it seems to have multiplied my hands played and money won by a factor of about 10, and yet the hand history view in the lower half of the reports/sessions/hands tabs remains blank. Any ideas? I'm on my way out the door now but will post screengrab later on if my description is unclear.

Pat, a mixture, but more on stars than any other site. I emailed them asking for hand histories as far back as they could go, which they said will take about 24hrs to arrive. That was two days ago, but I figure I'll give it the weekend before chasing it up.

Regards,
Richard

netsrak
08-28-2011, 06:36 AM
How exactly did you restore the database? From a backup or from the data folder?
It looks like something went wrong with this.

rjg6684
08-28-2011, 06:38 AM
From a backup I made through the backup/restore wizard when the comp tech guy I got in told me he'd have to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows.

netsrak
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
So you used the HM integrated restore function?
Did you restore into an existing database or into a new one? You should repeat this step into a new database and test with this database.

rjg6684
08-29-2011, 05:02 AM
yes, I used the integrated restore. I deleted every database from postgres, then loaded my backup again into a fresh database, and it seems to be working smoothly. thanks very much to everyone who gave help, it was much appreciated.