PDA

View Full Version : BIG Database problems..

Ben
08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi, I've been skimming the FAQ for help, but I thought posting here would be more efficient.

I moved my database over to my new Desktop a few months ago and everything was fine. I had almost identical database's on my desktop and laptop, whenever i needed them.

Then HEM 2 Beta came out. I got my code, downloaded it, was having trouble with it from the word go (i.e. importing all my hands). I never really got the time to get used to it like HEM (1) and my (very capable) new desktop started lagging. I ended up deleting HEM 2, to see if it was causing the problems, and decided I would reinstall at a later date when the lagging issue was seen to.

The first few times i started up HEM 2, i could see that it was auto-importing hands from my database, but it seemed to never end. Is it possible it may have made duplicates?

I have checked the database from my Laptop (the original database) and it is named "holdemmanager". I have just checked the databases on my desktop (in case dublicate(s) was made by HEM2) and there are 3 databases; "holdemmanager", "Holdemmanager 2" and "HEM2". The sizes of these (respecitvely) are: 8993KB, 1630MB and 11GB!

I have just checked the size of the database on my laptop (holdemmanager) and it is 7206MB.

When running HEM on my Desktop, the database it uses is HEM 2, it has info for hands against 223,000 players. I am not sure how many hands total as when i click on Tourney>>Hands>>ALL it takes too long to load. (I am a MTT player, not cash game)

Is 11GB just too big?
Could this be making my computer lag?
Could HEM 2 have caused the database to get this big by importing the same hands a number of times?
What is my best option, Vacuuming? moving the database to my other hard drive and defragging both?

Fwiw, in pgAdmin, it states for HEM 2 it has 4 backends (not sure what that means).

If any other information is needed, let me know. sorry for all the questions, and the pure essay.

Thanks

netsrak
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
HM1 and HM2 use different databases.
The default database HM1 generates is Holdemmanager, the default database for HM2 is "Holdemmanager2".
So the question is where does the database named "HEM2" come from? If it works with HM1 it must be a HM1 database which was never touched by HM2.
So for me it looks like you created this database in the HM1 database management and imported a lot of hands into it. 11 GB is a normal size for about 1 Mio. hands. 223000 players sounds like a lot for this number of hands but i think its ok.
Duplicate hands are usually ignored during the import - they are only possible when the database creation went wrong.

How full is your harddisk?
Are you using any 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware, adaware, tuning or registry cleaning programs? And if yes which ones?

Ben
08-23-2011, 09:59 AM
HM1 and HM2 use different databases.
The default database HM1 generates is Holdemmanager, the default database for HM2 is "Holdemmanager2".
So the question is where does the database named "HEM2" come from? If it works with HM1 it must be a HM1 database which was never touched by HM2.
So for me it looks like you created this database in the HM1 database management and imported a lot of hands into it. 11 GB is a normal size for about 1 Mio. hands. 223000 players sounds like a lot for this number of hands but i think its ok.
Duplicate hands are usually ignored during the import - they are only possible when the database creation went wrong.

How full is your harddisk?
Are you using any 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware, adaware, tuning or registry cleaning programs? And if yes which ones?

OK, that's a bit of a relief. Perhaps I named it HEM 2 when I moved it over to my Desktop (that does sound familiar).

My HD has 409GB free from 465GB. So it's empty basically.

I was running McAfee, however I tried to uninstall it, to reinstall it, as that too was running slow, and now it won't reinstall. I did however run an anti-malware scan yesterday, which took forever going through all of my database (10 hours+) which in turn led me to post here, as i thought my database may be unneccesarily big.

Do you suggest i should delete the other 2 small databases (I don't think I need them) and then Vacuum DB: HEM 2 and work through the list of how to speed up HEM (the sticky:10 tips...)

Is there anything else you could suggest specifically for my problem?

Patvs
08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
To delete databases: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/75/Create%7B47%7DDeleteDatabase

11 GB isn't very large. Every million hands you import--> will result in a 10-15 GB database.

Read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html