PDA

View Full Version : What is EV $ Diff in Hands

Biju
06-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Is it calculated preflop, at the highest differential through the hand or at the end. I can't seem to work it out manually and get the numbers to match even closely and only a handfull of hands have an EV$ Diff.

NB. I have used search and looked through FAQ but they're a bit disorganised and didn't find anything.

squalzen
06-02-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm also interested by this !

What does it represents exactly and how it is calculated

Holdem Manager Training
06-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, EV...

Some love it, some hate it. I personally love it.

EV$ diff is the amount of money you should've won or lost from your opponent based on any all-in situation except the river. No EV is calculated if you get it all-in on the river.

Simple Explanation:
$100 Stacks
You are heads up and get $50 in Preflop - You still have $50 behind. (this doesn't matter to be honest, but play along)
Flop hits and you get it all-in with someone and you are a 90% favorite.
Pot is now $200. $100 from your stack and $100 from the other stack.
Since you are a 90% favorite to win when the money gets all-in, you are going to get credited with 90% of the pot EV no matter if you win or lose. = $180. That's EV, now look below for EV$ Diff.

Maybe you lose after being a 90% favorite, you still get credited with $90 of EV$ Diff and $180 of EV. The EV$ Diff only accounts for your opponents stack and what you should've won or lost from them. Doesn't take into account your stack. It's EV divided by 2 basically

If you get it all in and are 50% to win, No EV will be given or deducted from your EV $ diff or regular EV.

I'm planning to make a video on this explaining it better in the near future since many people have questions about it.

-HMT