PDA

View Full Version : HM2 freezes when connecting to remote DB (Fixed)

schmunzler
08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Hi,
I have the Postgres Server installed on my desktop PC and installed HM2 on my laptop. When I start HM2 it guides me to the setup wizard where I fill in the IP address of my desktop PC. Clicking the "Retry Connection" button says "Success. Click Next to continue".
When I continue HM2 freezes and nothing happens (did already reboot and tried 4 times). The same setup is working without problems on HM1.

B-Money
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
HMSync should make your life easy. Easier anyway. Postgres networking issues between 2 PC's are extremely difficult to trouble shoot because everyone's network is different. This is one reason we created HMSync. You can use HMSync while we investigate the crashing.

What kind of crash is it? Freeze, or crash with send feedback dialog? If send feedback dialog, post your log file.
How exactly is your postgres setup on both PC's?

If you say it works flawlessly for HM1 I don't think the current network postgres trouble shooting FAQ will help, but if you provide some more information we can get some of our network guys to help you out.

schmunzler
08-24-2011, 05:11 AM
lol today it works ... don't know why. Whatever I'll take it. It was a freeze not a crash. Was not doing anything for hours before I closed it with the task manager.

Now that the connection is working I have no possibility to select an existing database that I created on my desktop pc with the laptop?? And databases I create on my laptop are not accessible on the desktop.

I understand with hmsync sharing databases is easy for the low end user. But I have a 300gig database on a ssd raid and I doubt hmsynch will satisfy me performance wise :)

Sarek
08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
HM1 stores all info in database only.
HM2 uses aditional files in roaming/database folder.
so if you want to access DB in HM2 - you need not only DB itself, but this "parent folder" also

schmunzler
08-26-2011, 06:11 AM
ok ... I understand that. But how can I set this roaming database folder? I can only set the folder when I am creating a new database. But I want to use an existing database on PC and Laptop. And I see no possibility to access existing databases. Sorry I am usually not a dummy in these matters ;)

Sarek
08-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Information about DBparent folder for every DB is stored in DB itself - in table named "settings". See picture.
So if you want to have access to this DB - you have not only to copy "dbparent", but to change this record in DB.

schmunzler
08-29-2011, 03:43 AM
worinkg! thanks