PDA

View Full Version : Help, HEM backup/postgreSQL eating up my disk space.

Smali
08-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been using the backup/restore function to transfer my database between my laptop and desktop a few times lately as I've been moving around a lot. Just got home now and wanted to use the function to transfer the DB from my laptop to my desktop and I always get an error after a while saying there isn't enough disk space. When I first tried it this morning I think I had ~5-6 GB disk space. After getting the error I removed around 5GB and tried again, and again I got the error and had no disk space left so I removed another 7GB and tried again but to no avail. I started looking for where all this space was going, and found that postgreSQL program is taking up 105GB of my 135GB hard disk!!

As I said I've used the backup restore a couple of times already, once when moving my DB from my laptop to my new desktop, and then moving the DB to the laptop from the desktop as I was on the move. I had no problems with it then. Is there some way to do some housecleaning on the postgreSQL thingy without losing hands? Is there a minimum disk space required to perform the backup/restore function? I don't really have a lot of room to work with as it stands with the postgreSQL being this huge as I've ran out of stuff to remove from my laptop. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sarek
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
When backup works, it requires (for temporary files) allmost the same amount of space as your DB has.
So you have several options:
A) Easiest: Take archived HHs to the 2nd PC and simply import them in a new DB created there.
After this import you can do notes export on the 1st PC and import them on 2nd. The same with bonuses and rakeback.
B) Harder: copy postgresql/data folder to the 2nd PC and perform new Postgre install but set this new "data" folder location as database cluster. But you need to install the same Postgres version as it is on 1st PC. With the same password to DB access.
C) Or see this http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition

And read this http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/8423-want-stop-postgre-creating-those-large-log-files-heres-how.html

Smali
08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Thx for the reply. I managed to make it work by finding the temp folder and deleting the temp files that backup had created in these 3 failed attempts today, and was subsequently able to backup successfully. Looking at my temp folder I see that there are still 3 folders in there created by HEM backup when I used backup previously, am I safe to delete those folders as well? Seeing as this is a folder for temporary files I'm pretty sure I should be ok to remove them, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers so I just want to make sure.

Sarek
08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
They are exactly "temporary", so can be deleted after succesfull (or not) process.

louiscyphre
08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
I have a similar problem running out of disk space. My current HM1 DB is using 99% of available disk space on the PSQL-Partition and I did have to purge old hands to import new ones. Now I can't even create a HM2 DB. Is it possible to have a second db on another partition? If yes, how?

Edit: I use windows 7

Patvs
08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Assuming you have PostgreSQL 8.4 on port 5432 on your PSQL-Partition with your HM1 database.
Install PostgreSQL 9.0 on port 5433 to another partition and use that for HM2.

Use the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).