PDA

View Full Version : Database Help

gonzon
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
My computer crashed recently which meant I had to reinstall Windows. This also meant reinstalling all software e.g. HM,postgres etc.

I still have all the data from my previous database in the D:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data directory (~8gb).

When I reinstalled postgres (8.3), this database obviously doesnt show up on the server. Is there a way for me to get it to recognise my old database/ import the data from it?

Thanks

morny
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Its a bit difficult to explain how to do this unless your pretty familar with tweaking installations, maybe we can do a teamviewer session, are you free tommorrow if so email me at monry@holdemmanager.net?

Alizona
08-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh no.

I just uninstalled PostgreSQL v8.2 to go to v8.3.3.1 and am here looking for this same thing - how do I get my 8.2 database to work in 8.3?

I wanted to upgrade due to unhandled exception errors occurring very frequently in HEM, and Morny suggested that it sounds like a PostgreSQL problem. I haven't even rebooted and restarted HEM to see how this will all work - but obviously having found this post, it appears it will NOT work at all for me now? I have an "8.2/data" directory with all my HEM stuff I believe, and an "8.3/data" directory which is empty. Why can't I just copy the 8.2 stuff into 8.3?

morny
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Ive not done it between 2 versions but it will probably work. As always with the unknown make sure you have a backup, uninstall version 8.3 completely and also go to C:\Program Files and delete the PostgreSQL folder (Assuming version 8.3 is the blank one you just installed)

Then reinstall PostgreSQL again but this time when you get to the page where it says "Initialise Database Cluster" near the top please untick this so all the boxes grey out. Complete the installation and then go to 8.2/data and copy and paste all them files into 8.3/data which should be blank if you unticked "Enable Database Cluster"

Then lastly youll need to restart the service by following the instructions up to the screenshot in this FAQ http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=34 (Make sure to start 8.3 and not 8.2) and then id also advise when your sure everything is working and all data is intact to uninstall PostgreSQL 8.2 through control Panel > Add Remove Programs

Alizona
08-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks Morny - actually, I realized that I can just uninstall everything (HEM and PostgreSQL), reinstall and reimport my hand histories.

So I've done exactly that, and will see if the new setup has the same issues as the last one did. I'm hopeful that going from PostgreSQL v8.2 to v8.3 will eliminate my unhandled exception errors. Time will tell I suppose - will update my other thread after a few day to provide feedback on that.