PDA

View Full Version : HEM & Linux

The Minder
05-30-2009, 01:52 AM
I've posted a similar request on the uservoice, but I have a feeling it's going to get lost in the maze of Windows requests, so I'll take a shot here.

For 3 months or more I've been trying to get HEM to run on a Ubuntu Linux system under Wine. The HEM installation (without postgres) appears to go fine with the exception that it's blindingly fast... like about 5 seconds and no errors reported. Nonetheless, all the HEM files seem to be in the Wine C:\yadda yadda directory. However, when I try and run HEM, nada... not a sausage!

I'm not asking for developer time to try and make HEM work on a Linux distro, but I'm sure one of the developers can say "hmmm, maybe, but you'll need to do this, that and the other" or "no way Jose because HEM uses xxx and Linux/Wine can't do anything about that".

I'm running out of hair to pull out and would gladly pay another license fee for some good guidance on HEM/Linux.

Regards

morny
05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Escalated to Roy, hell respond asap

The Minder
05-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks Morny,

Like I said, I don't want any of the code cutters spending a lot of time on this as I'm more than happy with a 'gut feel response' from one of the developers who has a little/lot of Linux experience.

Btw, there's a guy on the 2 + 2 forum who's developed a HUD that works for all the major poker sites (and most of the games), runs on Windoze and Linux, and is free. Might be an idea for Roy to sit down with this guy over a beer and contemplate the future.

Regards

The Minder
06-01-2009, 11:50 PM
quick bump

blindman
06-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Why bother, when most poker clients run so abysmally or not at all in WINE? IMO you're better off running all your poker inside a VM running XP.

The Minder
06-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Why bother, when most poker clients run so abysmally or not at all in WINE? IMO you're better off running all your poker inside a VM running XP.

I have FTP and PS running under wine, multi-tabling, and they fly.

blindman
06-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I have FTP and PS running under wine, multi-tabling, and they fly.

Really? I might have to give it a try (I gave up on iPoker ages ago).

The Minder
06-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Really? I might have to give it a try (I gave up on iPoker ages ago).
I haven't tried iPoker so don't know how you'd go.

But here's my logic for using Linux/Wine rather than VM/VirtualBox. My system monitor shows that increasing the number of tables (under Wine) doesn't greatly increase CPU load. The thing that slows a poker computer down is when you combine the poker clients with a database application. All those disk reads and computations by the database app for EVERY single action on a table (even if you're sitting out) is where the stress load comes from. Add to that the inherent overheads in a Windoze system (all those useless processes... like antivirus, running in the background) and you can stress out even a high performance CPU.

So, I dump the poker clients into Wine and (try and) get Linux to look after the HUD/database side of things natively. I don't have two identical computers to support my theory, but I do have a fairly capable laptop that grinds to a halt with Windoze/HEM/FTP/PS. My desktop with Ubuntu, FTP/PS in Wine, Postgress and 'fpdb' as my HUD, native under Linux, absolutely screams along.

Hence my desire to get HEM running under wine with an ODBC link out to Postgress under Linux. Naturally enough I'd like HEM ported to Linux, but I'd be more than happy just to use it under Wine. Nonetheless, with the speed that fpdb is being developed, it may all become moot.

malzfreund
06-13-2009, 01:28 PM
@The Minder

I have the same problem. Just did a search from which I conclude nobody here has any advice in this regard. Of course, apart from the standard "just use a VM."

Don't get frustrated--post here when you make any progress. I'll do the same. At some point, I might report HEM as "garbage" in Wine's AppDB but I wanna try a few more things first.

The Minder
06-14-2009, 03:38 AM
@malzfreund

Mate, I eventually gave up. HEM has enough desirable aspects that I need to stick with a PT3/HEM capability rather than the freebie route of fpdb. No offense to RVG Software, but they seem pre-occupied with increasing the sites HEM can be used on (God knows why as FTP and PS account for probably > 75% of all on line poker) and offering what I consider 'less than necessary' features like pot odds in the replayer, instead of working on the db integrity/maintenance issues. I mean, if you need to be told what the pot odds were after the event then you probably shouldn't playing for real money!!

Considering it appeared unlikely I was going to get any response from RVG, I took the easy way out and installed VirtualBox with a Win XP guest. I stuffed FTP/PStars and HEM into this but kept Postgress on the Linux side. I installed an ODBC link from HEM (Win XP side) to Postgress (Linux side) and the sucka flies!!!

A final word of warning. Both FTP and PStars seem to be updating their software pretty regularly these days and more often than not it breaks Wine and/or HEM. My gut feel is that they may be positioning their software to start offering some of the functionality of HEM/PT3, like mucked cards display, odds calculators, winnings graphs etc.

Mr_Pathetic
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
If this would install w/ wine I'd be the happiest camper ever. Everything else I use for poker runs under wine perfectly but this.