PDA

View Full Version : postgreSQL 8.2 needed?

mindtrap
08-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi,

i upgraded today to 1.06.01t (think i had something like 1.06.01e before).

Since then when importing hands after a while i get the error
"Player Hand Error. Connection establishment timeout. Increase timeout value in ConnectionString" - postgreSQL is actually running, i can for example run cash-game reports over Hands already in my DB.

I just recognized it is written somewhere that postgreSQL 8.2 or 8.3 would be needed. Actually i have 8.0 installed and evrything worked until today (except VERY slow import speeds like 0.2hands/s since i upgraded to 1.06...before it was fast).

Did you change something lately so that NOW 8.2 is definately required to import hands?
Help needed.. i am actually not able to play atm :-(

Thanks,
Guido

fabio
08-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Try a full vacuum. I would also suggest to upgrade your postgres to 8.2 or 8.3

mindtrap
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for quick answer!!

Just cause i am curious: why could a vacuum solve the problem?

2nd: i read a bit in the 2+2 thread linked in another thread about this problem - is it right that i will have to migrate my complete database if i upgrade to 8.3 ?
If yes: suggestions for the quickest way?

morny
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
The vacuum will help with the slow import speeds.

Details needed to consider when creating a new database
http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=101

Also if youve notes stored please export your notes
http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=119

And heres the link for the new postgreSQL download
http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=72

mindtrap
08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
thx again for answer!

But still i dont know if upgrade to 8.2/3 is "suggested" or "required".... and why 8.0 worked with the version before.

Also i dont know why import speed should slow down from 30/s to 0.2/s when upgrading should be caused by a crowded db.... as long as i dont purge any data a "vacuum" shouldnt be necessary anyway as far as i know.

morny
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
We recommend moving to version 8.2+ because most of the tutorials etc and support issues are built around these versions, because we cant recreate problems that happen with version 8.0 its more beneficial to have the newer versions. And like anything newer versions are created because the older versions have limatations so it makes sense to have a newer version.

Saying that ive seen similar problems with newer versions so it might not solve the problem but it helps us to rule out something to do with postgreSQL so we can concentrate on the problem.

On the vacuum i was getting mixed up, Vacuums are more beneifical for running faster queries than improving import speeds and i think Fabio suggested because you had a timeout running a query so the vacuum might help there. Also what kind of sample sizes are you importing when getting these speeds.

Id recommend upgrading to 8.3 if you have the time. If after the upgrades your getting slow import speeds over decent sample sizes try defragmenting the hard drive, also as Fabio suggested a Vacuum if your getting that timeout error. If you dont want to do the upgrade then try the 2nd and 3rd option first.

mindtrap
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
ok, i will try to update tomorrow (have to go to bed now...getting late in germany ;) ).

I also doubt it will solve the probleme but it wont make things worse.
Really hope we can figure out whats the problem quickly cause i like the HM very much and want to go on playing :D

Ostap
08-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I have the same problem. I was importing a large DB with ca 2 mio hands and got the message after 2/3 of import done. I didnt change anything on my pc before that.

I did Full Vacuum/Analyze, but it doesnt help. I dont have anything running like PT/Pokergrapher and so on. I added HM as "credible" (? sorry, I use the german version, dont know how its called in english) software at Kaspersky, it doesnt help neither.

As I said, 2/3 of the import was done without any problems.

Any advice?

Thx

p.s.: it probably has nothing to do with it, but after that error message i cant start table manager from the HM, it only starts "manually" from the HM directory

fabio
08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Ostap,

which version of PostgreSQL are you using?

Also, please try http://www.rvgsoftware.com/hm/hmupdate1.06.01t2.exe

Ostap
08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi,
thx for the quick reply.

Im using Postgres 8.0 and already have the HM update.

I probably should upgrade Postgres, but I am a little concerned, what will happens to my databases, do I need to reimport them again or something? Or is the upgrade safe and quick? :)

fabio
08-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I'd suggest exporting all your hhs and reimport them after installing 8.2/8.3

Ostap
08-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I installed postgres 8.3.3.1 now.. what do I have to do now?

fabio
08-13-2008, 07:45 AM
reimport your hands

Ostap
08-13-2008, 07:50 AM
actually i was unable to export them, so i didnt do that.. I also have the most of my played hands stored in a separate file, so i think its no problem..

anyway, i have installed the new postgres (but was unable to install it as "service") but when i try to import the rest of the hands, i still have the "timeout connection string" error message.

fabio
08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Why not able to install as a service? Any error message?

Ostap
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
i found out, that the name "postgres" didnt worked. I tried postgres 8.2 now and could install that right. But now HM cannot connect to it. I probably should start a new topic on that..

morny
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah please start a new thread with exact error messages