PDA

View Full Version : Changing file-based database location, using existing databases

LotteryGuy
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello,

I am trying to set up similar database setup as I use with the original HEM:

- PostgreSQL server is running on my OpenSolaris server box
- Holdem Manager is running on both my laptop and desktop computers

Now, I first installed HEM2 on my desktop with the default settings, that is, file-based database directory is at:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\Databa se

And the PostgreSQL is configured to be on my server box (192.168.10.10).

Now, after finding out there is a file-backed database also (terrible idea btw.), I want to change the location of that to my network share on the OpenSolaris box, so I can use the same database on both my laptop and desktop.

The question is, where can this location be changed?

The second issue came up, when I tried to install HEM2 to my laptop. There is no option to use an existing PostgreSQL database during install, it always insists on creating a new database. I also can't find out, how to change the database after it has created the empty & useless database. So, where is the option?

Then some general comments about the database setup.. I don't understand, why this file-backed database was even created? In general it is a very bad idea to separate data storage into multiple different engines, unless the benefits are good enough. I don't see any benefit in storing data in CSV format in plain text files without any indexing etc.

jelozano
08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/105201-connect-exixting-database.html

Sarek
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Also see this

We use file based tokenized data in HM2 along with the database. Combined they are still about 30-40% smaller than HM1 and contain way more info. This path can be changed when you install and I know it could be manually changed. I think it should be as easy as

1) move the database folder to a new location
2) go into pgadmin, open the database and open the settings table. In there will be a setting for DatabaseParentFolder. Change this to the new location
3) use regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PASG\HoldemManager and change the path for DefaultDatabaseParentFolder to make sure new databases get created on the data drive

rvg

jelozano
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Also see this

What happens when the database has not been created on the postgres server? For example, if you move the local database folder from pc1 to pc2? There is no database, so you cant search for the table called "settings"...

lozano

netsrak
08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
When moving to a database server at the moment you always need to create a new database first.