PDA

View Full Version : Double sets of PostgreSQL?

Nic
08-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I've noticed that I have both PostgreSQL 8.3 & 8.4 installed, is this really necessary?
Can I safely delete the 8.3 version in some way without risking lossing any important data?

Any help with this is highly appreciated, thanks.

netsrak
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Only one postgresql installation can be active per port.
You should check in the windows services which one is active.
Start pgadmin and try to connect to both servers. If only one of them works you can delete the other one.

Nic
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
When looking at the windows services the 8.4 version is the only one started.
Both has "Automatic" as startup method.
Visible differences is that the 8.3 is labeled as "Database Server" while 8.4 is only labbeld as "Server".
Another difference is that the 8.3 has "postgresuser" as user when 8.4 has "postgres" as user.

I can connect to both servers with pgadmin and by the looks of it they have the same content.
For example the HM2 database I created a couple of days ago is visible in both of them.

When looking in the postgresql program files folder I can see that the 8.3 database was created 2009-06-06 and have a size of 780 MB while the 8.4 database was created 2011-01-30 and have a size of 2,45 GB.

I'm pretty sure I have only installed one database myself during the years I've used HM so I have no idea why I have two of them?

netsrak
08-11-2011, 04:24 AM
I guess its just the 8.4 service that is active and pgadmin uses the same connection data for both entries so you are always connected to 8.4.

Please rename the 8.3 data folder and run some tests including a PC reboot. If everything is still working as expected it is safe to uninstall postgresql 8.3.

Nic
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I went ahead with the testing and then uninstalled and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks a lot for the help!