PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL keeps stopping

berserk
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
PostgreSQL has had several problems on my new laptop; a few months ago, I uninstalled postgre and reinstalled it, and recreated a multi million hand database, because it had altogether stopped allowing me to connect to the postgre server. Now, the problem is (and has been for some time) that just by leaving my computer on, postgre will stop working at some time. I go into Admin Tools -> Services, and postgreSQL is not started, and when I try to start it, it doesn't work. The only way that I've found to fix it is to restart the computer, at which point I can again open HM and have it work. However, this happens quite frequently, so I have to restart my computer before almost every session. It does not seem to mess up during a session (although I rarely check the stats until afterwards, so maybe it actually is messing up but it does continue to import hands correctly) but frequently after the session the postgre service stops working, and I have to restart just to look at my HM stats. I would like to avoid going through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling postgreSQL; is there any other solution?

morny
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Is the error your getting referring to "unable to read data from the transport connection. An existing conection was frocibly closed by the remote host"

If so its an issue where either your firewall/antivirus is intermittingly blocking postgerSQL, if you follow this FAQ 100% it should solve the issue http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 most notibly actually completely uninstalling the firewalls/antiviruses as disabling them dosent seem to work.

berserk
05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
This is the error I get when it fails to open HM:

The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Connection establishment timeout. Increase Timeout value in ConnectionString.

The error may be different when I already have HM running and then it doesn't allow me to look at hands; when that happens, I will let you know, but the error that you quoted does not look familiar. FWIW I use BitDefender as antivirus and also have a windows firewall up.

morny
05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok its a slightly different problem but the solution is the same http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=171 although you wont need to do the first FAQ only this one ive linked to

Again its important to follow each step exactly and completely uninstall Bit defender instead of disabling it and it should be fine, also update to this version http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate.exe

Rebooting might solve the issue temporarily but it will keep coming back until you follow the above FAQ

berserk
05-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Will I not be able to use BitDefender at all then? (I am paying like $30/year for it) - if so, is there another antivirus that you would recommend that wouldn't cause any problems with HM and also would work well as an antivirus?

morny
05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
After you get it up and running you can reinstall it, if the problem reoccurs then you may want to consider getting a new one

Ones i recommend that ive used and have very little issues with HM and postgreSQL and are free are

Antiviruses:
AVG
Avast

Firewall:
Zonealarm